Verizon Adds 20 More 4G Markets and Expands In 4 Others!

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-4g-lte-map-600x370-1.jpg

We all knew this was coming but today's the day! Verizon has turned on 20 more 4G areas all over the US! On November 17 they'll turn on even more, but for now, here is the list of new 4G markets.

• Birmingham, Ala.
  • Modesto and Stockton, Calif.
  • Fort Myers, Fla.
  • Bloomington, Elkhart, Evansville, South Bend and Terre Haute, Ind.
  • Sioux City, Iowa
  • Hagerstown, Md.
  • Tupelo, Miss.
  • Albuquerque and Santa Fe, N.M.
  • Buffalo, N.Y.
  • Asheville, N.C.
  • Bartlesville, Okla.
  • Jackson and Martin, Tenn.
  • Greater Hampton Roads and Richmond, Va.
  • Green Bay, Wis.
Verizon Wireless is also expanding its 4G LTE network in Los Angeles and San Diego, Calif.; Washington, D.C.; and Erie, Pa.

So have you guys tested out the 4G speeds in these areas? How do they look? I was in Richmond VA last weekend and the speeds there were are pretty slow (3G like speeds) but that's probably because they were just being tested and weren't officially up.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Right next door to Modesto, CA and will check on my wife's TBolt to see if we get 4G in Turlock. Doubt it though.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
I don't know about the new markets, but in Seattle they're ok. I average about 5-7 mbps downtown. I'm assuming they're that slow because there's quite a few people using the network. Once I get outside the city I average around 27 mbps which is pretty good.

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the new markets, but in Seattle they're ok. I average about 5-7 mbps downtown. I'm assuming they're that slow because there's quite a few people using the network. Once I get outside the city I average around 27 mbps which is pretty good.
Yeah That seems to be the case. Same thing happens when I'm in DC versus being out in the metro area.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
in owensboro KY, ( guess i am pulling of Evansville IN tower) 16mbs ;)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Got a hold of my wife's TBolt and we are about 10 miles from Modesto, CA and though she can connect to the LTE towers, she gets about 3.5Mbps down and maybe .4Mbps up. Not amazing, but we are pretty far away signal wise. Next time we're in Modesto, I'll try again. But for such a small increase where we are, I think I'll put her back on 3G as it drains the battery less. Oh, signal strength is -68dbm. Thats pretty strong unless the scale is different for LTE.

And as I type this, her phone drops to 3G. I think the speed is because of the distance.

druk

Reaction score
I like them adding LTE to Htown but usually I dont have any data at all when I'm there