Vehicle Mounting Solution? (otterbox defender)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I love my OB Defender!, but I want to mount it in my Jeep. I really like the "ProClip" product:

MOUNT
CRADLE

I'm just not sure if it will fit with the added bulk of the silicone case. Anyone with a OB Defender mount their DX in their vehicle with the case on?

Thanks!
- T.O.DrumBoy

Graymayre

Reaction score
It wont work without removing your phone from the case. Im sorry. But there are universal mounts that will hold your phone while you have a charging cable plugged in that will work almost as well, but you will have to manually run the car app.

Also, even if it did fit with other cases, you still have the rubber port cover flap in the way and would have to be removed anyway.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

attic.505

Reaction score
Dude, I had the same issue.I modified the original car dock from verizon with a dermal bit, then got the otter box and bought the gps dock from radio shack, and it looks and works awesome.so many things you can do with it. Very stylish.radio shack the big mount.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Guessing... One that has the sane mount point/type but gives better access mounted? I use vzw universal mount with my DX in its defender case. Run car adapter and aux cable then manually start car dock...

xCore

Reaction score
i just picked up a slipgrip mount for my x with the seidio rugged case and it works great, they make one that fits the defender as well. i took the magnet out of the motodock and mounted it in the slip grip mount to activate the car dock. what's nice about the slipgrip too is that the charging port is still easily accessible. so far i'm pretty happy with it.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Might you post a pic of the slipgrip in action?

jdmpwr07

Reaction score
I have the slip grip on my otterboxed droid x and it works great. I'll try to snap a picture later.

xCore

Reaction score
slipgrip with rugged

21dgyb.jpg

mount with magnet to activate docking

2zq6l1t.jpg

i added the foam block for a little extra stability, altho it wasn't needed. i also need to tie a piece of fishing line to the mount and the vent grill or something to act as a safety in case the suction cup comes lose since i've got my window down most of the time while i'm driving

Last edited:

codustyle

Reaction score
Have any of yall found a direct power wire that works on the x? i have the motorola dock (and the defender... but just tak eit off on longer trips..) and bought the below wire thinking it would work on the x

Amazon.com: Garmin Nuvi Hardwire Cable (Mini-USB connector) for Garmin Nuvi: Electronics

Amazon.com: Motorola Mini-USB to Micro-USB Charger Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories

it apparently doesnt put out enough amps for the x. itll power my other micro usb devices, but not the x.....

just wondering if yall have found one that works before i go testing out every usb based direct pwoer cord. thnx

Myndmayze

Reaction score
Have any of yall found a direct power wire that works on the x? i have the motorola dock (and the defender... but just tak eit off on longer trips..) and bought the below wire thinking it would work on the x

Amazon.com: Garmin Nuvi Hardwire Cable (Mini-USB connector) for Garmin Nuvi: Electronics

Amazon.com: Motorola Mini-USB to Micro-USB Charger Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories

it apparently doesnt put out enough amps for the x. itll power my other micro usb devices, but not the x.....

just wondering if yall have found one that works before i go testing out every usb based direct pwoer cord. thnx
Check your local walmart in the ipod section, or car accessories section. I found one at mine that included a home ac-usb and a cigarette lighter-usb package for around $20 (which was perfect for me cause my daughter needed an ac solution for her ipod) it outputs at around 2amps and hasn't given me any trouble as of yet. Griffin was the brand...

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Plug for eZeStand...

You can kill multiple birds with one stone if you are so inclined...all you need to do is order the Super Bundle for the Droid X from eZeStand...its $24.99 for the kit with free shipping, and it comes with the following (all confirmed to work with my Droid X):

(1) eZe Stand XL for the Droid X
(1) AC Wall Adapter Charger
(1) Lighter/Power Outlet Connector Charger
(2) 6ft Right Angle USB -->Micro USB Cables

codustyle

Reaction score
ya i have the moto car mount and it rocks. fits the x like a glove... i guess it should since its made by moto. what i wanted in a pwoer cord was a direct wire though, which is a cord that you hook directly into your cars fuse box. the moto mount is so clean that it doesnt deserve some annoying dangly cord coming out the back. i ordered this one down below and will let you all know if it works. it should have the right juice....

Amazon.com: Gilsson Direct Wire Cable for Garmin Nuvi 205 255 265 550 660 755 760 765 775 885 Magellan 1412 4210 TomTom Go 720 OneXL: Electronics

hokwornor

Reaction score
It is awesome to have OBS defender in our vehicle but often it will lose concentration while driving.So,It is required to mount it in the slip grip mount to activate the dock of vehicle like car for better performance.