Using Tether on Droid2 2.3.3 - rooted

viking22

Reaction score
Help please. Using Tether on Droid2 2.3.3 - rooted

I just installed the new gingerbread update OTA. I got rooted by using the D3 one click method, which worked great. I am now having troubles getting a tether to work. I have wireless tether installed and when I use it my computer can find it and connect but there is no internet service and my data will shut off until reboot.. If I open up browser before reboot it takes me to verizon to subscribe for 3g mobile hotspot. Is there any way at all that I can still use a free wireless tether on the newest version of gingerbread on the droid2? Any help would be Great. Thanks

louy99

Reaction score
I believe not

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

xythil

Reaction score
Anyone working on this ? How is veriOn hacking wireless tehrer

Riayoko

Reaction score
I am having the same issue and trying to get a solution. I had to Sbf flash back to Froyo because i updated before unrooting and was stuck in deep ****...i flashed then updated and used the one click root and tried the open garden tether and its no good i get the VZW 20 buck plan for 2gb of data why do i wanna pay for this..? on top of that when i connect the tether my phone goes to **** till i reboot..Can anyone can help?

mjs1015

Reaction score
Download xda forum app. They have a whole thread with a way to do it. I am on CM7GB and they removed the verizon hotspot so it doesn't interfer with wireless tether. Take your pick they both work.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=847570

cwilkins

Reaction score
I can confirm the manual TBH hack using RadioComm works to restore tethering/hotspot and then you can use the stock 3G Mobile Hotspot app.

Only... that seems to provide *either* Internet for phone apps *or* for hotspot/tethered devices, but not both.

So maybe I need to try removing the 3G Mobile Hotspot app. Except Titanium Backup says that app is not installed? Clearly it is installed and working because I used it.

So how does one uninstall a system app that's "not installed?"

-cw-

mjs1015

Reaction score
Verizon tied it in with other files in the phone so it can't be deleted. The only way is to flash a rom that is aosp based. I'm running cm74d2 and works great.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon tied it in with other files in the phone so it can't be deleted. The only way is to flash a rom that is aosp based. I'm running cm74d2 and works great.

To be more specific, it's coded in with Settings.xml.

juv3

Reaction score
Here is my video i got it to work, no Radio hacks or nothing like that... [video=youtube;eP2tJqY0L7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP2tJqY0L7c[/video]

Riayoko

Reaction score
Here is my video i got it to work, no Radio hacks or nothing like that... [video=youtube;eP2tJqY0L7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP2tJqY0L7c[/video]

Shows me you got but how is my question?

juv3

Reaction score
Shows me you got but how is my question?

1st of all i'm using Wifi Tether for Rooted users 2.0-Pre7 (one to rule them all) it says.... for some reason the User control won't work but you can use the Wifi-Encryption option if you want to control who connects to you, so when you 1st turn it on it says it's tethering and your computer connects but when you go to a site it sends you to The verizon telling you to Sign up for tethering and so,.... so what you do is go back to the app and stop it from tethering, then go to the Phone's settings and put the phone in airplane mode for 5 seconds or so and then turn Airplane mode off which is a well known work arround for installing sertain apps, once you get the 3G signal again head to the Tether app and start tethering again and connect your computer again and it should work...

juv3

Reaction score
On that video i'm also showing my droidwall settings and starting from the top all the way to Youtube are checked which means they connect to the internet when i'm using my phone either on 3G or Wifi, from youtube below are unchecked and Settings is one of them i have unchecked it might help so that the hotspot app they integrated to the settings can't comunicate with Verizon... it might not, some one said Droidwalls has nothing to do with it that it might just be the Airplane mode workarround that does the trick and some one alse says Droidwall might actually do the trick because of the IP rules, if you decide to try droidwall you need to apply the ip rules before you apply the instructions i'm giving in the post above, and if you want to use Droidwall for regular use after tethering you have to reapply the rules after tethering as well because Wifi Tether changes the ip tables rules

Riayoko

Reaction score
Okay I got it the video wasn't playing all the way through for some reason but imma see what I can do and let ya know end result thanks for explaining!

Riayoko

Reaction score
1st of all i'm using Wifi Tether for Rooted users 2.0-Pre7 (one to rule them all) it says.... for some reason the User control won't work but you can use the Wifi-Encryption option if you want to control who connects to you, so when you 1st turn it on it says it's tethering and your computer connects but when you go to a site it sends you to The verizon telling you to Sign up for tethering and so,.... so what you do is go back to the app and stop it from tethering, then go to the Phone's settings and put the phone in airplane mode for 5 seconds or so and then turn Airplane mode off which is a well known work arround for installing sertain apps, once you get the 3G signal again head to the Tether app and start tethering again and connect your computer again and it should work...

Im a bit new to this learning as I got but I have a question rooted users 2.0 pre7? What's this mean?