Using Skype on text/data only plan

jxrain038

Reaction score
Is there anybody that uses Skype as their main method of making and receiving calls? 2.99 a month for unlimited US calling cannot be beat. How well does it work? Would you recommend the method? I've tried using Google Voice/Sipgate/Sipsorcery method before but I could never get the dial plan worked out correctly.

y0manda

Reaction score
I never thought of having only text and data is that possible? It would definitely be much cheaper.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No such thing as a text/data only plan for a Droid or any other Smartphone on VZW.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Only option is a data only package which is still like 30 bux i believe, and you dont get voice, however skype will not work on the droid without you having cell service. For instance if you were to turn on airplane mode and try to make a call which is exactly what having data only would do, skype will tell you you need to turn off airplane mode, unless you have skype lite i believe which allowed you to use it via wifi. I have the unlimited plan from skype but its only for making calls from my computer for the most part, when i want to make free calls out of the country i use the gizmo5/google voice/sipdroid way which i've posted on here many times. :icon_ banana:
Hope that gave you some info.

OP
J

jxrain038

Reaction score
VZW does have text/data only plans, I believe it is 54.99 a month, but I did not know that you could get a data only plan. I use google voice for texting so that would make things even cheaper. I do not use the skype mobile app. I use fring and I have made calls in airplane mode using that method. I've had trouble getting the sip method to 100% work. I keep getting stuck on the dial plan. I do not know why but I keep having issues out of that.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
VZW does have text/data only plans, I believe it is 54.99 a month, but I did not know that you could get a data only plan. I use google voice for texting so that would make things even cheaper. I do not use the skype mobile app. I use fring and I have made calls in airplane mode using that method. I've had trouble getting the sip method to 100% work. I keep getting stuck on the dial plan. I do not know why but I keep having issues out of that.

Gotcha, well the unlimited plan from skype you can cancel at any time so if you try it and it works id go for it, dunno why it wouldnt than, just dont know if fring would take your advantages from skypes unlimited plan. If you dont like it than cancel the plan :) and you only waste 2 bux trying to save money :icon_ banana:

xlapus

Reaction score
Plan
NATIONWIDE MESSAGING W/EMAIL & WEB FOR SMARTPHONE $54.99

That's the plan he's talking about. I use it too, and I have made plenty of skype calls using skype mobile and fring with that plan.

vexx109

Reaction score
I just use Google voice

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which requires voice service for phone calls. Not germane to this topic. As pointed out countless times before, GV isn't a VOIP solution.