Skype Mobile for Android - 3 Major Tips - Video Review

beeray

Reaction score
Israel is cdma, does that mean I can use skype in israel on my droid? If I am able to use it and another verizon skype user has it on their droid, then can I call them without using minutes? Verizon told me that I can't use skype oversea.

Thanks
Rochelle

jsto72

Reaction score
Clearing chat history

I've adjusted my online Skype settings to "no history" and I've cleared the history a number of times, saving every time, and a conversation from May 12 keeps showing up in my events on my Droid....if I close the conversation, it goes away (obviously) but as soon as I log out and then log back in again, it shows up.....and not the whole conversation, just the last 5 interactions. How can I set it to not save ANYTHING? Is there a setting on my phone that I have to set as well? I've looked and can't find anything....

suzuki98

Reaction score
Noob question.............why do I not see video on my droid from caller and caller cannot see video from droid?

aabeer528

Reaction score
I read the terms of service when downloading Skype mobile about domestic calls using the Verizon network and Verizon minutes and International calls use the skype network, but what about if you are out of the country?

I'm going on vacation to Mexico soon and have been told by customer service that I can get unlimited data for $65/mo (which they would prorate to ~$15 for a week), but calls would still be 99 cents/minute. Would a skype call from Mexico to the US be considered international and therefore use the Skype network? The terms of service don't seem to address calling from outside the US!

Thanks!

frankiez

Reaction score
Noob question.............why do I not see video on my droid from caller and caller cannot see video from droid?

Simple. Your Droid does not have a web cam. Also if you were able to use the video camera that is on your droid, you wouldnt be able to see the screen to view the person your talking with.

kmbert12

Reaction score
Is there any way to delete the events from my Droid in the Skype history? I try a long touch and get an open or close option. I choose close it goes away until I log out and when I log back in all the events are still listed there. How can I delete these things for good? Is there any link between the PC and the mobile settings, I've tried to set them on the PC, but it doesn't seem to transfer to the mobile version. WTF this seems like it could be great with just a few tweeks, but instead Verizon and Skype are stringing us along to either pay for another app or buy a upgraded phone.

cguella

Reaction score
Disable, Uninstall, Complain

Skype without Wifi. What's the point? If you are paying for CDMA roaming while in some rare country that has CDMA you would be better off getting a sim or alternate phone because the data roaming rates are so high it would be cheaper to fly home and speak to the person - in person. Oh, and uninstall doesn't even work for Skype so just don't use, find alternative and complain.

lakerfan82

Reaction score
Looks like the Skype app got updated this morning... can anybody tell what changed? The comments aren't really saying anything, and they didn't put up any release notes...

peeg67

Reaction score
Skype Mobile outgoing calls

I can not make outgoing calls using Skype Mobile. It is calling a 404 area code and I get a message that the "number you are trying to reach is not in service" message. I have checked all of my settings and they seem to be correct... Thanks.

brooks70

Reaction score
Skype Mobile on Verizon using Airtime

Hello

Just the other day I started to use Skype Mobile (for Verizon) to make calls (skype-to-skype). According to Verizon's and the skype's website, all domestic and internation SKYPE-to-SKYPE calls are unlimited and free. I understand that calls to mobile lines will be charged airtime, etc.

However, I made a test call to another skype user, and when I checked back later on, Verizon docked those calls off my airtime even though they're supposed to be free. Is anyone else having this issue? I do not have Friends and Family on my plan, only 450 anytime minutes and unlimited data.

I do use Google Voice, but it was already set to prompt for every outgoing call (as suggested in the 3 tips) above.

When I call, my dialer comes up and on there it says "Skype Call" and calls the 404 # which I assume is the connector #.... so it's like it recognizes that it's a Skype Call on the ID, yet it charges my airtime as if I were calling a domestic #

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and possible solutions?
Thanks for reading this!

UPDATE 5/24: Ok, I'm not sure about the rest of you who has experienced this problem, but mine seems to have been solved. I did some test calls yesterday and this is what I found. When I use skype mobile to make skype-to-skype calls, it DOES seem to dock off the minutes when I check my account soon afterwards (or when it updates). I did a 20 min test call and it just showed the access # (404...) and said "20" under peak minutes usage. HOWEVER, Verizon CS said that it may take up to 24 hrs for any updates to occur on your account. So, I waited until today and checked my account/minute usage again. It now shows as up "SKYPESKYPE" in the description and it says "0" minutes (even though I did a 20 min test call). So all in all, it does NOT dock off the minutes, just as it should be. Hope that helps!

Cheers

Last edited:

snowman

Reaction score
Thats what we have been saying it's worthless, you get bopped for minutes, and you cannot use it on wireless networks, which then would make the calls free, it's junk on a phone but excellent on a computer