Skype Mobile VZW plan minutes

wseyller

Reaction score
What I need is to call/receive calls to people on other cell providers without using plan minutes. The Verizon friends and family feature is not available to me. I want to call over 3G.

I heard rumors that the Skype Mobile VZW app uses plan minutes even though it goes through 3G. I installed the app long ago and it seemed maybe that was the case, then I uninstalled. I recently looked at the app in the market and in the description it reads: -unlimited skype-to-skype calls and instant messaging without using your plan minutes.

I also briefly read that there is a hack version of Skype to allow calling 3G without using plan minutes. But in the description of the app on the market says no plans minutes used during Skype-to-Skype. Why have a hacked version if the normal market version is fine.

My question is with the current app on the market can I call/receive calls if both of us have skype account without using my plan minutes?

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes. Skype to Skype is unlimited. Skype to mobile isn't though.

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
wseyller

wseyller

Reaction score
Well I just did a test. I have two different skype accounts. I used my computer to call my skype user on my mobile. I saw a skype logo during the call. I recheck my minutes and it did use up minutes. So what's up with that.

kahuna

Reaction score
I had the same observation following a skype to skype call. The call was about 28 minutes, these minutes appeared in my usage details that same day and were still there until about 24 hours later. I checked again (later the next day) and the peak minutes were reduced down by that same amount and the call reflected "skype" with minutes of 0 (zero). It seems that there is no minute charge for skype calls - neat!

What I want to know is which skype client to use - skype or skype mobile (the VZN version). My understanding is that skype only works on wi-fi and skype mobile only works on the cell network. Is this correct? Should I install both? Can both clients coexist happily on the droid?