Using Razr as Music player over Ipod

tc1

Reaction score
Anybody have force close issues when using stock motorola voice commands to play a playlist?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
Like someone else said. I use Player Pro after using power amp for the LONGEST. It looks great and I love the option to use your volume buttons as a method of skipping songs. Faster that using the screen. (Just make sure screen is awake) And it also has an equalizer so its a win all around. Downloads cover and artist art as well.

SallyC

Reaction score
Well, that information is certainly enlightening. I am perhaps not surprised that the OS is designed around supporting higher speeds than even the class 10 cards, but I've done a lot of reading on other forums and the general consensus is that anything over class 6 (not class 4 as I had mentioned before) is in a real-world scenario overkill. There are though, much differences between one class 6 card and another from a different manufacturer. It's been reported that class 6 cards from Sandisk have show transfer rates of upwards of 30mb in some applications so perhaps the comment about anything over class 4 being overkill was referring to Sandisk class 4 given that class 6 can nearly quintuple it's specification minimum data transfer rating (and your research points to a 25mb max in Android).

Well, it turns out that, according to Motorola support, the "RAZR supports Class 10, but will not operate at its rated speed. RAZR will operate at full rated speed for Class 6 cards."

:mad:

Zandar

Reaction score
Well, it turns out that, according to Motorola support, the "RAZR supports Class 10, but will not operate at its rated speed. RAZR will operate at full rated speed for Class 6 cards."

:mad:
My old card from my D1 is in my RAZR, and it operates at class 7-8+ speeds (tested using Antutu Benchmark). I don't have a class 10 to play with, but maybe someone with one can test it and see.

SallyC

Reaction score
My old card from my D1 is in my RAZR, and it operates at class 7-8+ speeds (tested using Antutu Benchmark). I don't have a class 10 to play with, but maybe someone with one can test it and see.

I just did that on my class 10, using SD Tools, and got a write speed of anywhere from 6.8 to 10.5 MB/s and a read speed of 22.1 to 23.2 MB/s.

Not sure why such a variation on the write speed (maybe something else was running?), but wouldn't the 10.5 MB/s be in contradiction to Moto's claim the Razr can't operate at a class 10 speed?

Zandar

Reaction score
I just did that on my class 10, using SD Tools, and got a write speed of anywhere from 6.8 to 10.5 MB/s and a read speed of 22.1 to 23.2 MB/s.

Not sure why such a variation on the write speed (maybe something else was running?), but wouldn't the 10.5 MB/s be in contradiction to Moto's claim the Razr can't operate at a class 10 speed?
It certainly is. But maybe you found the issue: there are other processes that can interfere with read/write speeds consistently running at higher than class 6 speeds, thus Motorola can't certify the RAZR as being able to function at a higher class speed than 6. Makes sense. So, basically, you can be assured of at least class 6 speeds if you have a class 6 or higher card, but you cannot guarantee speeds over class 6 on a consistent basis regardless of the class of card.

Seems to me like it's still advantageous to have a higher class card; just don't expect it to always be faster than a class 6. This is off on one test, of course, but it makes sense given what Moto already said.

SallyC

Reaction score
Okay, after further discussions with Motorola support, here's the summary: "So, it's a bit more complicated than what I wrote earlier. The Class 10 card will work at rated speed for video recording. But if you were loading the SD card with media from your PC, it would transfer at the Class 6 speed of about 8 MB/s."

Personally, I'm not concerned about transfer speeds to my phone from my computer. It's taking HD video and pictures where I want the faster write speeds, and it sounds like the Razr supports that. :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Okay, after further discussions with Motorola support, here's the summary: "So, it's a bit more complicated than what I wrote earlier. The Class 10 card will work at rated speed for video recording. But if you were loading the SD card with media from your PC, it would transfer at the Class 6 speed of about 8 MB/s."

Personally, I'm not concerned about transfer speeds to my phone from my computer. It's taking HD video and pictures where I want the faster write speeds, and it sounds like the Razr supports that. :D

Well, aren't you the budding little private eye!! Good research. Looks like you've confirmed what I said to be at least partly right...:redface:

gling

Reaction score
This is from my 32 gig class 4 card. Seems plenty fast for anything I'll be doing on my phone.

SallyC

Reaction score
This is from my 32 gig class 4 card. Seems plenty fast for anything I'll be doing on my phone.

What program did you use? There's a lot of nice details there.

Also, which brand card? Those are excellent numbers for class 4.

SallyC

Reaction score
Well, aren't you the budding little private eye!! Good research. Looks like you've confirmed what I said to be at least partly right...:redface:

Haha! I've had friends say I'd make a good PI. But my Grandmother just called it being nosey. :p

gling

Reaction score
What program did you use? There's a lot of nice details there.

Also, which brand card? Those are excellent numbers for class 4.

The app is AnTuTu Benchmark, free from the market.
The card is a PNY.
I've been averaging 25-30 read and 10-15 write.

SallyC

Reaction score
The app is AnTuTu Benchmark, free from the market.
The card is a PNY.
I've been averaging 25-30 read and 10-15 write.

Thanks. That's interesting because my card is also a PNY but your speeds for write are class 10 or higher. Are you rooted or modified beyond stock in anyway?

gling

Reaction score
Just rooted for the purpose of using the apps. After doing a little research, I decided a class 4 or 6 would do just fine for any smart phone use.
I also use Google Music for the occasion I need some music on the phone and keep a couple of playlist available offline so I'm not dependent on streaming. But I still use my IPod nano for running and cycling to keep the wear and tear off my phone and conserve battery.