Using on other carriers?

marcusm

Reaction score
I don't know much about the different bands that companies work on. I was hoping to get the Droid on a one year contract ($169 right?) because I like paying a bit extra but being able to get out of a contract sooner. I was hoping I would have the option to switch over to a different carrier with the Droid if I wanted to at the end of the contract. Is that possible in the US?
Thanks

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
At this point not really. This is a CDMA phone only. There is a GSM version of this phone coming to the states (out on the 11th for germany). There will be the one that will be compatible with other carriers.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
the moto droid is 199 on a 2 year contract, so def not 169 on 1 year. Further, CDMA devices are locked to carrier so you can't take it to another carrier.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the moto droid is 199 on a 2 year contract, so def not 169 on 1 year. Further, CDMA devices are locked to carrier so you can't take it to another carrier.

Some VZW phones including BB have been reflashed and used on Metro PCS FYI. It may not be the best thing but it has been done. I am sure this option wont be available right away though. It usually takes a few months before they get thier software right for it ;)

medicTHREE

Reaction score

Some VZW phones including BB have been reflashed and used on Metro PCS FYI. It may not be the best thing but it has been done. I am sure this option wont be available right away though. It usually takes a few months before they get thier software right for it ;)

WIth limited results. They almost always sacrifice some sort of functionality to do this.

OP
M

marcusm

Reaction score

Oops, typing error. I meant $269.

And that is kind of disappointing. What's the eta on the GSM model? Any word or rumors?

medicTHREE

Reaction score
No rumors of US based GSM model. There is a european model, but it doesn't have US GSM frequencies.

OP
M

marcusm

Reaction score
Ah that puts a damper on my plans. Thanks for the advice guys!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
there is no word if it is even comming to the united states.... from what i understand vzw will be the only US carrier with this phone.

I think the closest a GSM droid will come to the US is Rogers Wireless in Canada.