Using after market batteries

apl3

Reaction score
What is the consensus here on non oem batteries. Do I need one with the hologram on it.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
A

apl3

Reaction score
Thats what I thought I had a bad experience with one on my D1. Most of the batteries on Ebay are cheap Chinese aftermarket crap.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've never had a good experience with an aftermarket battery. However, I've never had a disaster with one, just poor performance. YMMV

jroal

Reaction score
Droid 3 extended batteries

I have the Motorola extended battery for Droid 3. Got it just after buying Droid 3. It is very nice since the cover is barely any bigger than the standard. There is no reason to use the standard battery. However, it is not a huge battery on power either. I had an issue with my Droid 3 just after I got it where it blasted through about 6GB of data the first month. During that month it would also kill the battery in short order. Before I noticed the data usage, I just assumed that the battery was not enough so I bought an Anker 2800:
Anker
That Anker battery is huge in size but not really so much in power. You can find them real cheap. I later reset the phone to original using [settings], [privacy], [Factory data reset]. That fixed the data usage and the battery life. Now I switched back to the Motorola extended battery (BF6X). I can go a whole day on a charge with moderate use.

I have since tried the Anker 2800 a few times but I'm not really sure how much longer it lasts. The battery meter uses a battery specific algorithm and it does not work with the Anker. The meter appears to function but the percent remaining may not be correct. You can watch the battery voltage in some apps (Android System Info or GPS Staus for instance). The calculation of remaining power (state of charge) is actually quite complex and it involves temperature, voltage, and current draw. All Droid 3 knows it phone temp (very close to battery temp) and voltage. I have not run the Anker all the way down. I have run it down to where it said I have less than 15% remaining, then less than 5% remaining but I ran it like that a while with no reset. It was annoying though since the phone was panicking about its low calculated state of battery charge.

In the end I would highly recommend the Motorola BF6X for Droid 3.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
I also purchased the Anker 2800mah battery off of Ebay, not as good as what I was expecting. I also bought a couple of 1500mah from China and they have been great, no issues.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Riles246

Reaction score
I've used many of them...

I went backpacking for four days through the grand canyon and used my Droid 3 as a GPS unit. I picked up 4x chinese batteries on eBay along with an external charger for $15 or so, which gave me 5 total batteries. I had no problems with any of the batteries, other than shorter life. I'd say they have about 70% as much capacity as the OEM battery. Now that I'm back, I keep one or two in my backpack with me every day in case I need to use the phone alot.

Prior to my D3, I used these cheap batteries with my D1 and a couple of blackberries before that. I've never once had a problem with the $2 batteries, and they are FANTASTIC to have in my bag/briefcase for those days when you run through your battery and have no way of charging. I'm not sure why people are telling you not to buy them- they are MUCH better than those huge extended batteries, since my phone is the same weight and they take up essentially no extra space in my bag.