Using a Droid 4 in Europe

Reaction score
Hello, my brother has a Droid 4 and wants to take it to Europe, does it work there and will he be charged extra or what happens?

huckky

Reaction score
Hi. If your brother's d4 has ICS (Android 4.0.4) or higher version of Android OS, he can use it in Europe. On extra charging, apart from European carrier Sim and usage costs, i don't think Verizon would charge anything, but this is just guessing.

silver6054

Reaction score
Hi. If your brother's d4 has ICS (Android 4.0.4) or higher version of Android OS, he can use it in Europe. On extra charging, apart from European carrier Sim and usage costs, i don't think Verizon would charge anything, but this is just guessing.

You need to distinguish two cases:

1) You replace the Verizon SIM with a local SIM. In this case, no charges from Verizon apart from your normal monthly charge, and you are not using up data/text/minutes as far as Verizon is concerned. You pay the local carrier, often via pay as you go charges on the SIM.
2) You keep the Verizon SIM. This is usually very expensive. The only advantage is that people can reach you on your normal US number. Unless you plan to keep the phone switched off most of the time, or if someone else is paying, this isn't a good option for most. If you do need to do this, sign up for a global plan before you leave so you get a small amount of usage at a slightly-less-than-criminal rate.

droidbound

Reaction score
Hello, my brother has a Droid 4 and wants to take it to Europe, does it work there and will he be charged extra or what happens?

I just got back from Germany. I bought a prepaid SIM over there, popped it into the D4, within minutes I got a couple of text messages with self-installing settings from the provider. Voice and data worked flawlessly.
Upon returning stateside I just popped the Verizon SIM back in, and it changed back to Verizon settings with no problems.
I'm on ICS 4.0.4

Hikertrash

Reaction score
I take it you need an adapter for charging when using a US phone in Europe?

droidbound

Reaction score
I take it you need an adapter for charging when using a US phone in Europe?

Yeah, but just the plug which you can get for a few bucks at Radio Shack. Todays chargers are all good for 110 - 220 Volt, so that's no problem.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Hikertrash

Reaction score
Yeah, but just the plug which you can get for a few bucks at Radio Shack. Todays chargers are all good for 110 - 220 Volt, so that's no problem.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Thanks, good to know.