Use XLR professional mikes with your Droid!

OP
author

author

Reaction score

studiesinsound

Reaction score
Looks cool
Probably no fantom power though

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
author

author

Reaction score
Looks cool
Probably no fantom power though

nope ... but I have a battery-powered phantom power supply and a portable mixer, so I could take that and some of my studio condenser mikes if I was recording a concert or something.

the possibilities are endless.:)

--Ralph

studiesinsound

Reaction score
Pretty cool
What app are you using to record?

OP
author

author

Reaction score
Pretty cool
What app are you using to record?

Hi-Q ... works very nicely. will record bit rates up to 128, so great for both voice and music.

--Ralph

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
The sales page for the adapter says it works with the Droid (original). I'm unclear on how this works... the only 3.5mm jack is the headphone jack. Can that double as a recording jack? That would be great but then you still can't do multitrack as you couldn't monitor previous tracks.

Anyone know?

OP
author

author

Reaction score
The sales page for the adapter says it works with the Droid (original). I'm unclear on how this works... the only 3.5mm jack is the headphone jack. Can that double as a recording jack? That would be great but then you still can't do multitrack as you couldn't monitor previous tracks.

Anyone know?

Yes, you will note there are THREE rings (plus the tip) on the plugs that go into the Droid headphone jack. One of these rings is for microphone input.

Yes, it's still mono but with the XLR adaptor and a portable mixer you could record multi-sources, monitoring and mixing levels with headphones plugged into the mixer.

Then take your mono mixed recording from the Droid and convert it to stereo easily using Audacity or any number of other sound editing programs.

If you use something like the Hi-Q app I like, you can record at CD-quality (128K) and have some rather good sounding audio.

Not perfect but still pretty darn powerful for a mere phone, eh?

--Ralph

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
I'm thinking more like portable writing studio.

Using this Droid to XLR microphone and 1/4 inch headphone adapter - 3.5mm TRRS Male to 1/4in TRS Headphone Jack and XLR Microphone Jack

with XLR in and 1/4" headphone out

In conjunction with J4T Multitrack app

I can track 4 reasonably high quality vocal parts, one at a time. I do the same thing now, but with the droids built in mic and just headphones. Works ok, but the idea of using a real mic is stellar!

So I can sit in a tree with my droid, an sm58 and my cans and lay tracks till the battery dies! I Love it!

xush

Reaction score
Looks nice, thanks for sharing that.
So you guys are getting decent tracks from your phone?
I tried using mine yesterday and got totally smoked by an iPhone. I tried RecForge, Recordoid, and Sound Recorder apps. recForge was the only one that gave encoding options, but the resulting tracks were 'jumpy' and just skipped over a lot of data. Would love to use the phone as a portable diary, but the files weren't usable, ESP compared to the iPhone using its stock app.

I'll look for the Hi-Q app, but I really feel like it was more the phone letting me down than the app. Any ideas?

RVdroid

Reaction score
This is wonderful news! Why don't more apps allow you to use the heaphone jack as an input? I've been wondering about this.

OP
author

author

Reaction score
Looks nice, thanks for sharing that.
So you guys are getting decent tracks from your phone?
I tried using mine yesterday and got totally smoked by an iPhone. I tried RecForge, Recordoid, and Sound Recorder apps. recForge was the only one that gave encoding options, but the resulting tracks were 'jumpy' and just skipped over a lot of data. Would love to use the phone as a portable diary, but the files weren't usable, ESP compared to the iPhone using its stock app.

I'll look for the Hi-Q app, but I really feel like it was more the phone letting me down than the app. Any ideas?

Hi-Q app works fine for me. Produces an MP3 file.

--Ralph

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
I've tried a number of recording apps (not recforge though) and have never had a problem with jumping/skipping, dropouts, etc...

My biggest problem has been low quality input as I was recording from the external mic, not realizing that Droid has a mic input.

I haven't bought the above cable yet, but I look forward to it!

OP
author

author

Reaction score
video with an external XLR microphone!

yep, it CAN be done! Here's a quickie example using my Shure SM-58 microphone:

[video=youtube;7EIl3S4z9oo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EIl3S4z9oo[/video]

alas, you can't do it with the camcorder apt that comes with the Droid 2 (or I have not found out how) ... did this with the Videocam Illusion app (which actually creates a .mov Quicktime file).

anyway, can anyone tell me how to get the standard camcorder to recognize the microphone input? obviously it is possible.

--Ralph

Last edited:
OP
author

author

Reaction score
and HERE is using an XLR mike on the Droid 2 with the lgCamera app, which gives us quite acceptable video and sound!

[video=youtube;pCnv1SUMoNI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnv1SUMoNI[/video]

--Ralph