use mp3 as sms ringtone

01klrjoe

Reaction score
Just wondering how to change the sms txt message notification ringtone to an mp3. Thanks and let me know.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Choose music instead of android system, pick the mp3.

pool_shark

Reaction score

How is this done. Just through system settings or will I have to plug in and change system folders around?

Just thru the settings, if you have the mp3 on your sdcard.

Go thru the settings to change your ringtones but instead of choosing android system, choose music.

Leung

Reaction score

How is this done. Just through system settings or will I have to plug in and change system folders around?

Go thru the settings to change your ringtones but instead of choosing android system, choose music.

I have several MP3s on my sdcard but when i go to change the ringtones, it only shows me that stock ringtones not what is on my SDcard. Do they need to be in the "my_ringtones" folder or can they be from my "my_music" folder?

pool_shark

Reaction score

I have several MP3s on my sdcard but when i go to change the ringtones, it only shows me that stock ringtones not what is on my SDcard. Do they need to be in the "my_ringtones" folder or can they be from my "my_music" folder?

They can be anywhere on the SD card. It shows you stock ringtones because you're choosing android system, choose music instead, it will show you every mp3 you have.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
When I go into settings>Sound and set a ringtone, there is not an option to specify where it pulls from. DX with the rooted .596, but even on stock FroYo there was not an option. No hidden menu options either that I can find.
So, from what I have seen you can move the .mp3 into /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones and it will show up in your list. You can also use a free app such as Ringdroid and set it that way.

Leung

Reaction score
When I go into settings>Sound and set a ringtone, there is not an option to specify where it pulls from. DX with the rooted .596, but even on stock FroYo there was not an option. No hidden menu options either that I can find.
So, from what I have seen you can move the .mp3 into /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones and it will show up in your list. You can also use a free app such as Ringdroid and set it that way.

That's was what I thought, thanks man.

pool_shark

Reaction score
It is not a hidden menu.

Menu - settings - sound - phone ringtone.

You should see Android system, music, and one other I believe. What do you see in the phone ringtone menu?

jonathon1289

Reaction score
It is not a hidden menu.

You should see Android system, music, and one other I believe. What do you see in the phone ringtone menu?

I select phone rington and just have a list to scroll through of different ringtones. There is no option anywhere in the SOund settings to change the source.
Are you using a custom ROM or anything?

pool_shark

Reaction score
It is not a hidden menu.

I select phone rington and just have a list to scroll through of different ringtones. There is no option anywhere in the SOund settings to change the source.
Are you using a custom ROM or anything?

Nope. It was like that on Froyo on my DX and my D2 and it's the same on GB.
You must have chosen android system by default and now it only shows you that option.

Go to settings - applications - all. Find settings and clear defaults.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Ok, I will check there and see, but I don't ever remember seeing that option. I'm not worried about it since I always use Ringdroid to customize my ringtones anyways, but still nice to know.

I was just fixing to post screenshots to show what I see.

EDIT: I just checked in Applications.Settings and there are no defaults set. I can clear data, but assume that will reset all of my customization and I don't feel like redoing it all. So while it would be nice to know where that option is, again I use an app to handle my ringtones so I am not too worried about it. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
With mine, music shows up under handcent because I have handcent ringtones checked in handcent settings. If I did the music option would be right here.

photobucket-10786-1307623987949.png

Last edited: