USB copy of large video file from PC to phone takes forever, often fails

daveread4

Reaction score
Got a Droid 3, attempting to copy converted video files to the phone when it's connected to my Win7 PC via USB.
Using Win Explorer, right click the video file (mp4, about 750 Mbytes), drag to the Droid 3 folder where I want it.
Win Explorer asks if I want to "convert and copy", I say yes.
The "Copy" window appears, says "To 'DROID3\Removable Storage\Video'". Takes at least three hours, and in four or five tries I have yet to succeed. Most of the time it quits about 2/3 of the way through, says the phone has disconnected itself.

Is there an easier way to copy large files to the phone? Would it normally take this long to do the copy?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Maybe try settings > applications > development > stay awake > check

Don't forget to turn it off when you're done.

I'm curious whether this'll fix it for you.

A workaround would be to do it wirelessly. The easiest way might be to upload it to youtube and then download on your computer. I would run ftp server app on phone and filezilla or any ftp client on desktop to transfer over wifi.

wcjeep

Reaction score
what are you converting it too? Try this, right click on your video/copy. Goto desired folder on d3. right click/paste. Should take upto 15min.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
what are you converting it too? Try this, right click on your video/copy. Goto desired folder on d3. right click/paste. Should take upto 15min.

Oh, wow, I totally missed the part about converting the MP4. What is Windows doing, converting to a WMV or some crap? I'm so happy I'm on GNU/Linux now. Sorry, Windows is OK but...whatever...

EDIT: Wow, still not reading. He is copying to the phone...

REMilk

Reaction score
If that does not work, I would takes the micro-SD card from you phone and put it in a card reader (you may need a micro-to-standard SD card holder), that is attached to your computer. Copy the file from your PC to the micro-SD card in the card reader. Once the copy is complete, put the micro-SD card back in your phone.

Bob

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
let's start with what usb mode you are connecting to your pc in? on your phone, pull down the connection notice and set to connect as mass storage device. On the PC, open the sd card and copy and paste the file directly... No file converson required... Play the file with your fav vid app, rock player lite is awsome.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
let's start with what usb mode you are connecting to your pc in? on your phone, pull down the connection notice and set to connect as mass storage device. On the PC, open the sd card and copy and paste the file directly... No file converson required... Play the file with your fav vid app, rock player lite is awsome.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Yeah, I had the same thought. Sounds like he's either in PC Mode or Windows Media Sync. The "convert" option SHOULDN'T be coming up -> it's just a straight copy over. Also, it can either go to the internal memory OR the sdcard, shouldn't matter.

-Matt

OP
D

daveread4

Reaction score
Yeah, I had the same thought. Sounds like he's either in PC Mode or Windows Media Sync. The "convert" option SHOULDN'T be coming up -> it's just a straight copy over. Also, it can either go to the internal memory OR the sdcard, shouldn't matter.

-Matt

Yep, that was it! Put it in "USB Mass Storage" mode and the copy took about 40 seconds!
Over the weekend I finally got frustrated enough to install an FTP server on the Droid, which makes copying really fast & slick too, without the cable.

Thanks all!
-dave

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
40 seconds for 750MB? Not bad. :)

Tell us more about that FTP server!

-Matt