US S5 Lollipop Officially Released

loco

Reaction score
Ok, looks like I may have to do the dreaded factory reset. Phone still laggy, still heating up when doing small tasks that should be no big deal.

Before I do, I think I read somewhere that there is an app that saves your configuration and data, and makes it really easy to set you phone back up.

Anyone have an idea about this ? Would like to Dave myself a few hours of work if possible.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you selected the option to backup settings to Google when you first setup the device, you should be good to go for the main phone settings.

Individual apps are trickier. I always do them myself. It should auto download them once you launch the play store for the first time, but you'll have to sign back in & etc.

Make sure your contacts are synced/backed up as well. When I enter new contacts, I make sure they're saved to my Google account. Not sure how Samsung's sync works.

Vzw also has their cloud backup option, but I love Google.

Others may have a better plan, but that's how I roll.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

loco

Reaction score
Thanks my friend. I really hate to do this, but I just might have to. I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing the same issues. (why is it always me :) )

I also noticed that while connected to a good strong wifi signal, it doesn't heat up. hmmmm strange.

I want the Note 4 bad ! My wife just got one and I freakin love it !

newmanx4

Reaction score
Have you cleared the cache partition in recovery? That usually stops the overheating.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No problem! Loving my Note 4. Excited to get my lollipop.

I'm sure you're not alone. Funny thing about these updates, we often see different users have different problems with an update, but as I said earlier, an fdr usually takes care of all of them.

loco

Reaction score
Never heard of clearing the cache partition in recovery. Can you shed some light on this ?

newmanx4

Reaction score
Power the phone off. Then hold volume up, home and power til the phone vibrates. Release all buttons and phone will boot into recovery. Use volume buttons to scroll down to clear cache partition and press the power key to select it. Then choose reboot.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Im still using the stock messaging app and does anyone know if I can switch the color from orane to any other color? Im not feeling it at all.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423258123808.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423258123808.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 244

newmanx4

Reaction score
I use Message+ myself. I looked through the settings in the stock app and didn't see any way to change it.

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
I had a bit of a problem only solved after I had done the old pull battery then had to do A FDR as the ringer wouldn't stop after I had answered calls. Reloaded apps, then had to redo settings on my contacts as I don't allow syncing of other contacts, i.e. Skype and Goggle plus as it makes a mess and isn't needed.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I'm having bluetooth issues. With KitKat there would be hiccups in the Bluetooth but now I get 2-3 second pauses when playing music. I plan to do a factory reset this weekend to clear out the cobwebs after the update so hopefully that will fix it.
I'm also very interested to know if the FDR solves the Bluetooth hiccups for you, I have the same issue, but haven't tried an FDR yet.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Ok, looks like I may have to do the dreaded factory reset. Phone still laggy, still heating up when doing small tasks that should be no big deal.

Before I do, I think I read somewhere that there is an app that saves your configuration and data, and makes it really easy to set you phone back up.

Anyone have an idea about this ? Would like to Dave myself a few hours of work if possible.
The Samsung Kies software is supposed to do this if you have a Sammy phone. KaosMaster did a nice writeup on how to use it:

HOW TO Install Backup Restore Repair your Samsung Device using Kies Android Forum at DroidForums.net

I've done a backup using this method but haven't tried a restore from it yet, would love to hear how it works after an FDR.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The Samsung Kies software is supposed to do this if you have a Sammy phone. KaosMaster did a nice writeup on how to use it:

HOW TO Install Backup Restore Repair your Samsung Device using Kies Android Forum at DroidForums.net

I've done a backup using this method but haven't tried a restore from it yet, would love to hear how it works after an FDR.
That's not necessary to do a factory reset. I would do a factory reset from the settings menu of the phone before going as far as to flash the device with kies. Usually that's all that's needed.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
JK, I wasn't suggesting flashing the phone with Kies, just using it to backup and restore apps and OS settings after the FDR so he doesn't have to redo everything manually.