US S5 Lollipop Officially Released

newmanx4

Reaction score
I'm also very interested to know if the FDR solves the Bluetooth hiccups for you, I have the same issue, but haven't tried an FDR yet.
After a FDR the bluetooth still has an occasional hiccup but much less than with KitKat. The 2-3 second pauses are gone.

Also after performing the FDR some Lollipop menus look different than they did after updating. I know that sounds crazy. Smart Lock wouldn't work for me after the update but last night when my phone paired to my truck the Smart Lock menu automatically appeared on screen. Battery life is incredible now. After a major update like that I'd recommend everyone to perform a reset.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
After a FDR the bluetooth still has an occasional hiccup but much less than with KitKat. The 2-3 second pauses are gone.

Also after performing the FDR some Lollipop menus look different than they did after updating. I know that sounds crazy. Smart Lock wouldn't work for me after the update but last night when my phone paired to my truck the Smart Lock menu automatically appeared on screen. Battery life is incredible now. After a major update like that I'd recommend everyone to perform a reset.
I've been preaching that sermon since the og droid days.

It's sad that it seems so necessary, but I suppose it could be much worse. We could have issues like they had with ios 8. Haha

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5

did you use Kies or something else to restore all your apps and settings, or do it all by hand?

newmanx4

Reaction score
I copied my pics and music to my laptop. All apps restored through Google. You will lose any app data though such as game progress. Only way I know to do a complete restore is being rooted and using Titanium Backup or a custom recovery. Never used Kies myself.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I think for Samsung phones, Kies can do a full restore similar to rooted Titanium Backup.

newmanx4

Reaction score
So how is Lollipop treating every one? After the initial update I was having severe battery drain and overheating. After performing a FDR everything is working great in those regards. Only issue I'm not happy with is that my bluetooth glitches are worse than with Kitkat.

jnashr

Reaction score
Lollipop did not treat me well. Phone would seem fast, until I tried to move between apps...then lots of lag. Also had constant issues with the screen not waking, apps randomly closing, texts showing number but not contact info, and a slew of other minor issues. I experienced these before and after a FDR. Went back to kitkat last night and couldn't be happier. Seems to be hit or miss with lollipop, unfortunately my experience was a miss.

newmanx4

Reaction score
Reading across multiple forums I keep seeing that performing a FDR is hit or miss. Lots of people say it worked but just as many say it didn't help at all. Hopefully they will get 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 out quickly to resolve some issues.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Lollipop did not treat me well. Phone would seem fast, until I tried to move between apps...then lots of lag. Also had constant issues with the screen not waking, apps randomly closing, texts showing number but not contact info, and a slew of other minor issues. I experienced these before and after a FDR. Went back to kitkat last night and couldn't be happier. Seems to be hit or miss with lollipop, unfortunately my experience was a miss.
I didn't know you could flashback kitkat. I guess it's the same kernel so if it is that would make sense.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

PhishyKris

Reaction score
Mine has been hit or miss as well. Really like to see 5.0.2 and frankly surprised they didn't do that out of the gate. I'm sure they wanted to be first to release 5.0 so I'm sure it will be along soon.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hopefully their trend of quickness with 5.0 continues with other devices & fixes for these bugs.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

jnashr

Reaction score
I didn't know you could flashback kitkat. I guess it's the same kernel so if it is that would make sense.

Yeah, I used odin to go back to stock and followed the route to re-root.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah, I used odin to go back to stock and followed the route to re-root.
Lucky! I wish I could root. Although I really only want to for one reason and that's to hack the wireless tether.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Mine has been pretty good except for apps crashing randomly. Sometimes, i'm only running one app and it would crash. Other than that, mine has been good so far. Not having any battery drain. Although at first I thought it did, but after days of using it, im still having around 5 hrs of screen time, mostly on wifi though.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
So how is Lollipop treating every one? After the initial update I was having severe battery drain and overheating. After performing a FDR everything is working great in those regards. Only issue I'm not happy with is that my bluetooth glitches are worse than with Kitkat.
Once I got all my music re-pinned after the FDR and the Media service thing settled down, my standby battery usage is about the same as it was with KitKat. Bluetooth dropouts about the same as before (infrequent enough to be tolerable, but they shouldn't happen at all), was really hoping Lollipop or the subsequent FDR would solve those completely, but no such luck. The FDR did solve a problem I was having with sms delivery reports not working.

By the way, using Kies 3 to "restore" everything after the FDR was a dismal failure. I got back some of my OS settings (Wifi settings came back, but totally lost Bluetooth, wallpaper came back, but not home screen layouts, etc.). App were re-installed from the backup, but most were like a first time install, definitely didn't get back all my accounts and app settings as I was expecting, had to repin my 35GB of Google Play music.