upgrading phones???

drummerq

Reaction score
is it possible to upgrade your phone without a new two year activation. What I mean is i got a droid in November. Is their anyway to get the droidX or Droid 2 for only 200$ (or however much they cost on release). I'm fine with being contracted into a new 2 years but i wouldn't mind upgrading to a new phone, but there no way im paying 600$. Thats outrageous. Any help would be nice.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can upgrade whenever you want. However, you're not going to get a subsidized phone without a contract extension (whenever you're eligible for it).

What I mean is i got a droid in November. Is their anyway to get the droidX or Droid 2 for only 200$ (or however much they cost on release). I'm fine with being contracted into a new 2 years but i wouldn't mind upgrading to a new phone, but there no way im paying 600$. Thats outrageous.
$600 isn't outrageous. That's what they cost. Again, $200 or whatever they're sold for with new activation or contract extension is the subsidized price. The US is fairly unusual in that subsidies are used in this way. Full price is the norm, not the exception -- no matter how entitled American consumers feel they are to getting subsidies.

Last edited:

clucernoni

Reaction score
You can also do an annual upgrade, but you're still a ways off from that.
How do you do an annual upgrade again? I'm about to get my own contract at the end of the year (separate from my families plan) and I'd love to do that...i'd even pay more for my plan if I could.

lchavez289

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight into the annual upgrade plan?
With Verizon the primary line gets an annual upgrade, the secondary lines get to upgrade every 2 years. So, if you want to be able to upgrade every year, then you either have to use your primarys upgrades or go on your own plan. If you don't mind resigning a 2 year contract then just upgrade your phone. You also can upgrade and then if you wanted, take Assumption of Liability and take your number to your own plan..

clucernoni

Reaction score
With Verizon the primary line gets an annual upgrade, the secondary lines get to upgrade every 2 years. So, if you want to be able to upgrade every year, then you either have to use your primarys upgrades or go on your own plan. If you don't mind resigning a 2 year contract then just upgrade your phone. You also can upgrade and then if you wanted, take Assumption of Liability and take your number to your own plan..
Oh ok that's perfect. I'm about to go on my own plan with me and my fiance, so she will get one every 2 years and I will get one every year.

Sounds great!

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Interested in this as well(also got my Droid in November)... is the annual upgrade price discounted the same amount as "new every 2"??? I don't mind extending contracts...

jarby

Reaction score
I was under the assumption that you could upgrade whenever you wanted. Even if you were in a New Every 2......they would just extend the contract out. Am I wrong? Because I believe I did this before with Verizon and it wasn't an issue.

lchavez289

Reaction score
No matter what, you have to be eligiable for an upgrade. In the past you might have been eligiable for a promo, or maybe they just used a buddy upgrade. If anyone ever wonders if theyre eligable for an upgrade, or what youre eligable for, all you have to do is PM or email me your number and I'll check your account.
[email protected]
-LC

lchavez289

Reaction score
Interested in this as well(also got my Droid in November)... is the annual upgrade price discounted the same amount as "new every 2"??? I don't mind extending contracts...
A NE2, doesn't give the phone a discounted price. What it does is give you a credit that you use towards a new phone. So say you have a NE2 credit of $50 and you want a MotoDroid which is $199 after mail in rebate of $100, you would actually be paying $149 after the $100 MIR.
Make sense?

lchavez289

Reaction score
Oh ok that's perfect. I'm about to go on my own plan with me and my fiance, so she will get one every 2 years and I will get one every year.

Sounds great!
Correct. Also you can use each others if you needed to.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
A NE2, doesn't give the phone a discounted price. What it does is give you a credit that you use towards a new phone. So say you have a NE2 credit of $50 and you want a MotoDroid which is $199 after mail in rebate of $100, you would actually be paying $149 after the $100 MIR.
Make sense?

yes.. makes sense.. well, at what point does the credit kick in? Basically, I'm asking when I can get a new phone at $200 or so, instead of full price...