upgrading micro sd card?

isoDUB

Reaction score
my brother recently got a Droid 1 after me. he didn't get a micro sd though, but we have an old 2gb one. if we use that for now, would it be easy to transfer ALL the apps/data/settings/etc. to a new 8gb or 16gb card later? he plans to root and mess around with customization and roms.

AlexSB

Reaction score
I've actually been wondering this too, my first instinct is to just copy and paste everything lol.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
I've actually been wondering this too, my first instinct is to just copy and paste everything lol.

yeah i was thinking that too, but wanna make sure before my brother starts downloading all this stuff. it would be a real pain in the ass to redownload and reinstall everything if copy and paste doesn't work.

Jer

Reaction score
I've done this several times & it's actually quite simple. Remove card and copy contents of card to PC. Then put new card in PC and copy said contents to new card. Place new card in phone & power on. Enjoy new hotness.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
I've done this several times & it's actually quite simple. Remove card and copy contents of card to PC. Then put new card in PC and copy said contents to new card. Place new card in phone & power on. Enjoy new hotness.

awesome thanks jer!

EDIT: is it only possible to connect from Droid to PC? i tried using a Micro SD adapter and it says i need to format.

Jer

Reaction score

awesome thanks jer!

EDIT: is it only possible to connect from Droid to PC? i tried using a Micro SD adapter and it says i need to format.

Not a problem.

Edit: I always use a card reader. Make sure if the 'new' card isn't new that you delete everything off it first.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score

awesome thanks jer!

Not a problem.

Edit: I always use a card reader. Make sure if the 'new' card isn't new that you delete everything off it first.

no its the old card that windows vista says needs a format. what i did was:

1. unmount micro sd
2. turn off phone
3. take out micro sd/battery
4. tried with micro sd to sd adapter and micro sd to usb adapter

EDIT: now both cards don't work. i don't think it's my card reader cause my memory stick pro duo works fine.

EDIT AGAIN: hm, now they work. kinda weird, but whatever. thanks for the help jer!

Last edited:

Jer

Reaction score
I take my memory cards out of my Android devices all the time to add/remove files and haven't once had my PC, netbook or laptop require me to format before proceeding.