Upgrade?

Riel

Reaction score
Alright, I know that as a new user this probably appears to be a rather obligatory thread, but I still feel that I should ask: do you think that now would be a good time to get the Incredible?

I bought the original Droid about...twenty days ago, which means I've still got just about a week to trade it in and get the Incredible for the two-year contract price, if I want. My questions for all of you are:

1. The battery, from all accounts, appears to completely suck on this. I can usually get at least 17 hours out of my Droid, which fits perfectly into my lifestyle. I don't WANT to play the 'plug your phone, turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in, lather-rinse-repeat' dance, but I'd be willing to, I suppose.

2. Call quality and signal; I generally have three-four bars worth of signal with my Droid (exceptions coming up later) and the call quality is spectacular; I don't want to go without signal or have to deal with ****ty quality in my own home.

3. Usability of the virtual keyboard(s)- from what I understand (and with my limited time spent playing with the phone) the virtual keyboard seems to be pretty comfortable: would you guys agree?

Other than that, my only question would be concerning Best Buy/Verizon: since I'm switching from the Droid to the Incredible, if I decide that I can't live with the Incredible, am I able to go BACK to the Droid?

Oh, and why I'm looking to upgrade:

1. I won't root the Droid or anything along those lines, so what I have is what I have...for another two years. Why have a three-year old phone at the end of that two years when I can have a two-year old phone?

2. My Droid has been force-closing apps kinda haphazardly

3. Signal strength, particularly today (note: clear skies) seems to be lower than usual.

So, if anyone could give me some advice and answer any (or hopefully all :3) of those questions, it would be great. :D

edit: okay so maybe those weren't in question form...but I think it was clear as to what I was inquiring about :D

atthehop

Reaction score
My son, two of my co workers and I all have the Incredible and love them and not even worrying about anything coming out soon since we are all tied in for 2 years. Lord only knows what they will have 2 years from now. The more you think about whats coming out the more you drive yourself crazy.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
When we were looking to switch to Verizon I was set on getting the droid (this was about 2 weeks before the release of the Dinc). I went to the store and played with the sales assoc personal droid (so it didn't have the ties to the counter). It felt like it was clunky for lack of a better term. The hardware seemed to just not have the power for the software and the 'chin' as they have called it drove me a little batty. Luckily I knew the Dinc was being released and we weren't on a time crunch to make the switch.

I read so many reviews over the next month even on the (then)up and coming Droid X and Droid 2.

After all my research I decided the Dinc was the way to go. And I am so happy with it!! The wait for it just made me more anxious to get it. My one downfall with it which almost made me switch to the X was the keyboard. Easy solution I bought the 'Ultra Keyboard' and there is no way I would switch phone now.

Personally I like the HTC Sense over the Moto Blur and the 'Ninja Blur' or whatever they ended up calling it on the X. HTC just runs so much smoother it was like night and day for me.

1. The battery, from all accounts, appears to completely suck on this. I can usually get at least 17 hours out of my Droid, which fits perfectly into my lifestyle. I don't WANT to play the 'plug your phone, turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in, lather-rinse-repeat' dance, but I'd be willing to, I suppose.

Do the dance or buy the upgraded battery. I really haven't had battery issues with it but I went thru the battery tips and it helps.

2. Call quality and signal; I generally have three-four bars worth of signal with my Droid (exceptions coming up later) and the call quality is spectacular; I don't want to go without signal or have to deal with ****ty quality in my own home.

I was with AT&T before getting my Dinc so I can't really tell you the call quality difference. There are options though to boost signal (seen some online less expensive then what they sell for on verizon) but I went from having no signal for a 10 mile radius at my house to having signal so it hasn't been an issue for me...

3. Usability of the virtual keyboard(s)- from what I understand (and with my limited time spent playing with the phone) the virtual keyboard seems to be pretty comfortable: would you guys agree?

I have no issues with a virtual keyboard. I just didn't like the stock one that is on the Dinc but like I said above very easy fix!

Other than that, my only question would be concerning Best Buy/Verizon: since I'm switching from the Droid to the Incredible, if I decide that I can't live with the Incredible, am I able to go BACK to the Droid?

I can't answer this :( sorry but customer care can

Oh, and why I'm looking to upgrade:

1. I won't root the Droid or anything along those lines, so what I have is what I have...for another two years. Why have a three-year old phone at the end of that two years when I can have a two-year old phone?

I haven't rooted mine and I am not sure that I will. I like it how it is

2. My Droid has been force-closing apps kinda haphazardly
I have only run into a force close once and it was on a trial program (don't remember which one cuz it didn't last more than an hour before I removed it)

3. Signal strength, particularly today (note: clear skies) seems to be lower than usual.

Bottom-line I would defiantly switch to the Dinc!!

OP
R

Riel

Reaction score
My Best Buy actually got a shipment in, and so far everything's been great.

Note: as I've had the phone for about five hours, these are just preliminary results, but: battery life appears to be fine. Call quality and signal strength as the same as my Droid was (and, actually, is better than my girlfriend's enV2) and so far I'm liking Sense. More in the morning/after I get acquainted with the phone.