Is Motorola Home Charger technically OK long term for HTC Incredible?

webby

Reaction score
I bought an almost brand new Incredible off ebay and received it in the mail just a few days ago. The phone checks out as advertised, so it is a keeper.

But there is one issue that I need some advice on. In the description, the seller had stated that he had purchased both a new Incredible and a new Droid X, tested them both out, decided to keep the DX, and is selling the virtually new Incredible on ebay, which is what I bought.

The home charging plug and cable he shipped me with the HTC Incredible are both Motorola. The brand name is right on the 110v plug, and both that plug plus the micro USB cable he sent me are identical to the ones that came with my old phone, an original Droid. It would appear that the seller shipped me the plug and cable for his Droid X and kept the plug and cable for the Incredible, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Of course, the plug and cable charge the phone just fine. My question is, does anyone know if there is any difference in the voltage between the Motorola cable and the correct HTC cable? Would there would be any long-term negative effect on the phone, enough so that I should go to the hassle to try to get the ditzy seller to ship me the correct cable? Or since this cable charges the phone, is it just as well to stick with what I have?

Would the non-OEM charging cable hurt the resale of the phone down the road when I resell it, even if there isn't a voltage issue for the phone?

Could someone please post a picture of the OEM charging plug and cable for the Incredible so I would know what they look like in case I decide to ask the seller to ship me the correct ones?

Last edited:

Humpa

Reaction score
I have the D1, DInc, DX, Devour - and those are just the android phones that use microusb, and not my other phones and headsets that use them ... heaven knows what charger I'm using where.
If a manufacture makes a charger or phone with a standard microusb, and then makes it incompatible with all the existing microusb stuff? There'd be a lot of broken stuff around. You can't expect people to realize that there is a difference in voltage and current in the chargers - so any microusb "should" be fine. Especially a known brand and a similar device.

atthehop

Reaction score
I think the only possible issue may be mounting it to a computer to transfer files. My cheap car charger cable charges fine but if I use it to hook into my PC it does not connect to the internal memory or SD card. I read somewhere there is a pin in the OEM cable to allow this.

Humpa

Reaction score
I think the only possible issue may be mounting it to a computer to transfer files. My cheap car charger cable charges fine but if I use it to hook into my PC it does not connect to the internal memory or SD card. I read somewhere there is a pin in the OEM cable to allow this.
There may be some cheap (defective?) cables out there.
But all my microusb's work with my moto and htc Android devices and my pc's. All my microusb's came with Verizon phones or devices though.

OP
W

webby

Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses! Much appreciated! I tend to agree that there likely is no issue with using a Moto cable and plug on the HTC phone, but I was curious for the opinion of others, as though a bit geeky, I am certainly no electrical engineer.

I am going to go ahead and ask the ebay seller if he would mail me the correct HTC charger and cable, and once received, I will send him back his Moto cable and plug. Hopefully he will be cooperative. This is for two reasons, 1) having paid $350 for a virtually new phone (which it is), I am entitled to what came with the phone, and 2) when I resell the phone (I upgrade Android phones every 6 to 12 months), since I am a regular seller on ebay with a very high feedback, I would disclose the fact that the charger cable and plug are not OEM, which will likely hurt the resale value on ebay slightly.

My ditzy seller also did not include any micro sd card with the phone, so I am going to ask him to refund me the cost of a 2GB micro SD card. Obviously this guy is rather careless.

Thanks again!

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
I use my D1 cable from my PC to my DINC with no issues at all.. no mounting trouble, not a problem at all since i got the DINC on release day..

I just dont use the PWR adapater,, PC only.