Upgrade from Original Moto Droid to Thunderbolt

Garbagedogup

Reaction score
I have a few questions to ask.
1. Is the upgrade, in your opinion, worth it?
2. Is the thunderbolt as "hackable" as the moto droid?
3. Is it best to wait for the bionic? Personally though, I like the design of the thunderbolt much better.
Thanks for any help!

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Came from the Droid OG to the Thunderbolt as well. So far, it's well worth the upgrade. If you want to wait for the Bionic, I understand but you wont be disappointed with the Thunderbolt. I will say though, I recommend doing a one year contract.

Also, as far as being as open to hacks as the Droid OG; there is root and ROMs pouring in if thats what you mean. If that's something that means a lot to you then defiantly just pick up the Thunderbolt over the Bionic.

Lucas5

Reaction score
I upgraded from the original droid too and i'm VERY happy and it is definitely worth it. In my opinion, the Thunderbolt is a MUCH faster phone now than the Droid 1 was for its own time. As such, I think the TB will last you much longer.
As for being hackable, it seems that it took more work to crack the TB but given the knowledge the Android development community has already it was probably a piece of cake.
Still, since there are SO many Android phones out compared to when the Droid came out it probably might mean that the TB won't get as much attention from the dev/hack community as the first droid did.
Anyway, since you're looking for a phone that's hack/root friendly than the TB is your choice. Since Motorola likes to really lock their phones down than I suggest passing on it.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
you do know the droid 3 is rumored to be coming soon.

keyboard and four inch screen, and possibly no blur, but it might be 3g only.

just keep that in mind. It's supposed to be some time in q2.

but if you don't need a keyboard F it!
and with its locked bootloader you'll see the same type of "roms" on the bionic as you see currently on the droid x.

joannalee

Reaction score
FWIW upgraded from original Droid and sooooo loving my thunderbolt!!!!

HTC THUNDERBOLT

OP
G

Garbagedogup

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone. Probably gona just upgrade later this week. Anything I should know about the phone and rooting ahead of time?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

nailerdog

Reaction score
I came from the X to the TB. Sweet phone and I love it. I had the OG Droid as well. You wont look back. The TB is rootable already and will have ROMs available if your looking for that.

A new Moto phone without Blur? I wonder if that will happen as they have a huge ego now. I hated the Blur on the X and installed Rubix Focused to run clean.

Funny. I don't mind the sense on the TB.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I have a few questions to ask.
1. Is the upgrade, in your opinion, worth it?
2. Is the thunderbolt as "hackable" as the moto droid?
3. Is it best to wait for the bionic? Personally though, I like the design of the thunderbolt much better.
Thanks for any help!

1. 100% worth the upgrade. Primary lines on accounts can take advantage of the early upgrade if you've been under your current 2 year contract for at least a year. They charge a $20 early upgrade, but if you ask nicely they will generally waive it.

2. It's still very new to the community, but it was rooted the day after it came out. It won't ever be as easy because of HTC added security measures, but it isn't impossible in terms of locked bootloader like the DX and Bionic.

3. Only if you don't mind having a bootloader that won't ever be cracked. The DX bootloader hasn't been cracked and the Bionic won't be any different.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone. Probably gona just upgrade later this week. Anything I should know about the phone and rooting ahead of time?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I would wait a few more weeks as people that are posting how to root the TB currently still have a few small kinks to work out from what I've read.

Ryukashin

Reaction score
I order mine yesterday and am anxiously awaiting its delivery. Surprisingly I got to upgrade after 13-14 mo (error maybe?) and their online upgrade price was $200, $50 cheaper than the store price (strange).

Anyway, I know for the OG Droid that it had problems updating if you deleted stock apps, so for the TB how do I freeze apps (like the blockbuster and hulu type app) and is that better than uninstalling them?