updating radios

Zaraki921

Reaction score
hi so i found the old radios from here [Radios][VZW] All Radios in Flashable Zip - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki I flashed the prior radios and it wrote about writing the LTE and CDMA radio but when it when it rebooted it said "android is upgrading" and went through 1/158 programs (it didnt do that before). when i got to the homescreen it immediately had the same error, but the radios are the old ones now. is it time to panic? this is so strange.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well then...it might be time to flash stock images...However if you're getting a com.android.phone crash, the next step I'd do would be to remove the phone.apk from /system and push a new copy just in case it got corrupted somehow. Are you on a ROM or stock?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zaraki921

Reaction score
where would i find stock images and a new copy of the phone.apk? (sorry I'm a bit of a noob) I am on CyanogenMod 9.0.0.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
where would i find stock images and a new copy of the phone.apk? (sorry I'm a bit of a noob) I am on CyanogenMod 9.0.0.

Oh that's right. I remember you mentioning that now. I'd redownload CM 9 from the Cyanogen website and pull the phone.apk from your zip download. I'm making the assumption you have adb set up? If so, it should be as simple as deleting the phone.apk from your /system partition through a root file explorer and then:

adb push /location/of/phone/apk /system/app

After doing that, I'd reboot and see if you still get the same error. If you do, you can download the toro stock images from here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/188161-how-return-your-galaxy-nexus-100-stock-locked-bootloader.html

Follow that guide (without locking bootloader if you want it unlocked) after you download the zip in the original post. I know that will take you back to 4.0.2, but then you can just OTA to 4.0.4. Or you can download the 4.0.4 stock images from here:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mysid-imm76k-factory-98d21321.tgz

And then follow that guide replacing the file names in the guide with the ones actually listed in the 4.0.4 image download. You will need to use 7zip to extract the images from the tar.gz download.

Last edited:

Zaraki921

Reaction score
I have ADB set up, but I'm not sure about the root file explorer. hmm pushing the phone.apk seems a lil dicey, i would need precise instructions, as I am not the most tech savvy. are there any good posts anywhere explaining this that you know of? I'm googling it now. should i just go for the factory image? I'm at work now and can't do this til i get back :/

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have ADB set up, but I'm not sure about the root file explorer. hmm pushing the phone.apk seems a lil dicey, i would need precise instructions, as I am not the most tech savvy. are there any good posts anywhere explaining this that you know of? I'm googling it now. should i just go for the factory image? I'm at work now and can't do this til i get back :/

No problem. I can help you out. Just download a root file explorer from the market. Use a free one like Root Browser Lite if you don't want to pay for one. I personally use root explorer, but it's your call on that. Anyway, once you download your root file explorer, you will need to navigate to /system/app from within the explorer. Then find the phone.apk and you can either rename it to phone.bak or just delete since we'll be pushing a new one.

Once it's deleted, you will need to connect your phone to your computer and get ready to use adb. After you've downloaded the CM9 zip again, open the zip file and navigate to the /system/app folder and you will find phone.apk. Copy that to whatever location you want (for ease of use, we'll just use the desktop). Then open the command prompt and enter these commands:

cd C:/users/(your name)/Desktop

adb push phone.apk /system/app

That should take no longer than a split second. Once that's done. Reopen /system/app with your root browser from your phone and make sure the permissions of phone.apk is RW-R-R. If that's the case, reboot and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, you'll likely have to try flashing the stock images I linked to earlier.

Zaraki921

Reaction score
Oh you're awesome dude! thank you, that seems simple enough, I'll send an update when i get home and try this out.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. Oh one step I forgot to mention. You'll need to mount the /system/app folder with RW permissions. It's easy from root explorer because you have a button in the top right corner that says R/W and that gives you the privileges you'll need to rename/delete the phone.apk. I'm not sure how it works from Root Browser Lite, but I imagine it's a fairly similar process.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nice work syndicate! (I liked his posts for ya Zarak) :p

Thanks but I'm kind of a dummy. I should have just told him to factory reset through cwm. ;) Oh well he'll preserve his data if what I told him works. Just hoping we can avoid fastbooting stock images. That's never fun.

Zaraki921

Reaction score
tgyberg you are correct, syndicate has been the most helpful person on the internet ever! I'm glad this forum is helpful even to people like me who click alot just learning without much to contribute, so thank you syndicate! almost home, hope i wasn't texted anything important today. i swear my OG Droid, must have done this because it was staring at me on my desk last night.dancedroid

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
tgyberg you are correct, syndicate has been the most helpful person on the internet ever! I'm glad this forum is helpful even to people like me who click alot just learning without much to contribute, so thank you syndicate! almost home, hope i wasn't texted anything important today. i swear my OG Droid, must have done this because it was staring at me on my desk last night.dancedroid

Well thank you. It means a lot to hear users say things like that and that my time here is at least meaningful. And of course it was your OG. It was turning green with envy. :eek:

Zaraki921

Reaction score
what was this about factory reset from CWM? ahh my noobdom rears its ugly head again. i think i was confusing sdk with adb, sorry it was a crazy day at work. i opened the command prompt from platform-tools I set it up so adb got my nexus' serial number are there any more steps after that? the cd C:/ line worked but if i try the adb push it just shows me a big list of adb prompts.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
what was this about factory reset from CWM? ahh my noobdom rears its ugly head again. i think i was confusing sdk with adb, sorry it was a crazy day at work. i opened the command prompt from platform-tools I set it up so adb got my nexus' serial number are there any more steps after that? the cd C:/ line worked but if i try the adb push it just shows me a big list of adb prompts.

Well the factory reset I was referring to was wiping /data from recovery and re installing your ROM. The way I was telling you before was in hopes of preserving your data. :)

And it should be able to process that without a problem...I don't know why it wouldn't read anything outside adb...then again, I use Linux so my formatting for Windows may be off a tad. ;) I'll see what I can find.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where is ADB located on your PC? Move the phone.apk to that location and then cd to that location through the command prompt and then re try.

Last edited: