Upgrade to 4.2 Gone Terribly Wrong

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Hey guys. Recently I downloaded and flashed JBSourcery 4.3 (Android 4.2). When I went to restore my Titanium backups, my phone could not locate any of my files on my "sdcard." That's when I discovered the "0" folder. So, I moved everything from the "0" folder out to the root of my "sdcard." That didn't work, so I tried moving things back into the "0" folder. That didn't work either. So, I got into Rom Manager and installed their latest CWM recovery. It appears that it found my previous rom backups.

So, I tried to just go back and restore my previous rom, JBSourcery 3.1, just to get out of this mess. However, when trying to restore the rom, it gives and error message saying error restoring data, or something to that effect. Now I feel like I'm screwed. My phone has been out of commission for 2 days now, and I'm trying to get it back to the way it used to be, or get it on Android 4.2 with all of my files, backups, etc. saved and usable.

Can anyone please help?! Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I wiped data and cache, and now I've got nothing on my phone. Looks like the recovery file was messed up. How can I get back into my phone's "sdcard" to find the right file to restore????

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

EDIT 2: So the more I try to fix this, the messier it gets. I have successfully lost just about everything on my phone. Luckily, I have a backup from August 30 of last year saved on my computer. I am going to reflash to stock, then reroot and try to flash my restore of JBSourcery 3.1. I will post the results.

I will not be touching 4.2 or any later rom until this mess gets figured out. Of all the research I've been doing, looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.

Mysticist

Reaction score
I tried Sorcery on my Nexus and had almost the exact experience you described. Can you boot into the ROM or are you soft bricked?

Edit: I'll rephrase. I actually ended up with no recovery because I managed to wipe the sd by mistake. I had to flash TWRP using the Nexus toolbox to help me get out of a soft brick state. I couldn't get it to show up on my win 8 x64 laptop so I could just use the restore images from Google.

Once I had TWRP installed, I went to advanced -> adb sideload
I either used adb in command prompt or side load in nexus toolbox, I can't remember which. Anyway I sent over the zip of a known working stock rom & it flashed it automatically. This allowed me to boot into the phone.

Anyway, I won't be going back to Sorcery after the day I wasted trying to recover from the bad flash. I found another rom that actually works and is as close to bug free as I've seen. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/36706-romaosp421132013-shiny-ota-like-stock-android-421-jop40d-no-bugs/

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more details.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
4.2 by default migrates your data/media folder (aka your internal storage for music, files and such) to /data/media/0. It's part of the new multi user system that Google added in 4.2. You can try to move the contents of the 0 folder back but it's unnecessary (and will screw up most apps)unless you want to return to 4.1. If you want backups to reappear in older recoveries, just move the clockworkmod folder in /data/media/0 back to /data/media. Note that if you are restoring back to 4.1, you MUST move the contents of the 0 folder back.
I found this out with trial and error going back from xenonhd (4.2) to cm10(4.1).

I know this information is late, but it might help you next time if you want to try 4.2 again.

Breakfast beats worrying.

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I could boot into a rom, but by that point my sdcard was so jumbled up and missing so much of my files that I completely gave up, wiped back to stock and reflashed. I am going to restore a backup (if it is even possible and it isn't broken) and see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Update: Although I lost everything on my phone, I was able to flash back to stock, wipe everything completely clean, and reroot. Then, luckily I was able to reflash my most recent backup (this was not lost in the disaster, thankfully). I was able to copy a backup of all my files from 8/20/12 and I am now back up and running again.

I don't know what happened or what went so terribly wrong during this process. Lesson learned: I need to make frequent backups of my "sdcard" to my computer in case this happens again - I won't lose everything. I guess I need to do a little research before I try to flash to 4.2 again. If anyone has a link to a guide or some useful information I would appreciate it.