Factory Wipe ROM Flashing Question

VingInMedina

Reaction score
I've been flashing ROMS to my old original DRIOD for the past year, but I haven't done anything yet to my Nexus. I wanted to get used to stock so I would know what I would like to see in a new ROM.

Well, anyway, one thing occurred to me, and I haven't seen a discussion of this specifically, so I thought I would ask.

I put my new ROM, Nandroid backup, TiBU files all on the "sdcard" -- /mnt/sdcard. Which isn't a real separate physical storage medium but a FUSE file system created from /data/media. So, if I do a factory reset, isn't everything on the "sdcard" deleted? Is the factory reset that CW does something different from the factory reset that is done from the Settings -> Backup & reset?

Is it now typical behavior to make a full backup of your "sdcard" before flashing?

If the "sdcard" is deleted, how do you restore it while in CW?

I could probably learn all this by just charging ahead and trying, but I want to know as much as possible before starting.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Items on the "sd" do not get erased if you do the wipe via recovery. They will however if you do a reset from within the settings menu.

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
Thanks! Then I think I am ready to dive in!

BTW, do you know if is it possible to flash the OTA 4.0.4 update that was posted by putting the file in the /cache directory if the phone is stock with the stock recovery?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I believe it was possible but honestly I did not follow it at all. I have been rooted so I had no need to do so. lol

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
Items on the "sd" do not get erased if you do the wipe via recovery. They will however if you do a reset from within the settings menu.

This as I know it is incorrect. Vzw wiped my phone when I was having sim troubles and it did not wipe my SD. I still had all downloaded files, backups and pictures stored on my device.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
It could be incorrect, TBH I have not done it from the settings. I am merely going by what it warns you it will wipe when you actually go in there and select the option. It says the phone's internal storage including: Google account, system and app data, music, photos, other user data.

Regardless it does not do it from CWR.

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
I just flashed CW Recovery and I can boot into recovery fine, but when I select the Backup and Restore menu item it just gives me a blank screen.

Anyone know if there is there something else that I need to do to get the backup portion working?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I have not encountered that. Did you try booting back into recovery and trying it again? Maybe reflash recover?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I just flashed CW Recovery and I can boot into recovery fine, but when I select the Backup and Restore menu item it just gives me a blank screen.

Anyone know if there is there something else that I need to do to get the backup portion working?

What cw do you have? The touch version or the one that uses the volume rocker? I believe you'll get that black screen in the version that uses the volume rocker if you scroll past the end of the list too many times. It will say something like "back locked". If forget what it actually says. But if this is the case, just scroll past the end of the list until it goes away then try it again.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
I am using the version with the volume rocker and power button.

When I tried it again, I briefly saw a menu and then it started a backup. When the backup finished it put me back at the main menu.

The buttons seem to be very sensitive.

I will try again in the morning.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
This as I know it is incorrect. Vzw wiped my phone when I was having sim troubles and it did not wipe my SD. I still had all downloaded files, backups and pictures stored on my device.

They may have done something different, but if you perform a Factory data reset from within the Backup & reset menu of your phone (not clockwork), everything, including the sd card will be wiped. I did this a month ago when I re-rooted my phone and I can confirm 100% that everything will be gone.

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
Yup, got it this morning. Really nice. I haven't used CW before now. I was always using SPR and then RZR with my old Droid.

I installed the 4.0.4 update and after a while I am going to try out AOKP. It feels good to be back to flashing new stuff on the phone again. I haven't been doing anything since I got the phone at Christmas! Considering that the whole reason I wanted this phone was to be able to update it I've been rather behind the curve.