Updates in the Market

MendedLogic

Reaction score
Running Liberty GB v.9 with Gingercomb Juiced theme.. Having problems installing updates in the Market I get an error stating "package file was not signed properly" Anyone have any ideas?? Some apps I have no problems but seems system apps I do..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
MendedLogic

MendedLogic

Reaction score
Were the app that you were updating themed apps? If so, you may need to uninstall those apps first.

I don't know what you mean by "themed" apps but here is a quick pic of some that wont update due to error ..

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
A themed app would be something that you got from this site or maybe another site. It would be an app that someone took and changed the colors of, basically. You could uninstalling one of those apps you were trying to update, then redownloading it from the market. I had the same error when trying to update a themed version Google Plus. Uninstalling the themed version I had then installing the market version worked for me. Hope this helps.

OP
MendedLogic

MendedLogic

Reaction score
A themed app would be something that you got from this site or maybe another site. It would be an app that someone took and changed the colors of, basically. You could uninstalling one of those apps you were trying to update, then redownloading it from the market. I had the same error when trying to update a themed version Google Plus. Uninstalling the themed version I had then installing the market version worked for me. Hope this helps.

No, I'm not running anything like that.. I'm assuming this is a Liberty GB bug as most of the apps giving me these errors are mainly system apps.. I couldn't install Gmail's update last night for this very reason, I ended up downloading the .apk from the web and uninstalling my current version then rebooting my phone and install new version via the .apk I downloaded and it worked.. But fcol I don't want to have to go thru that for many apps often that's just nuts.. Dev's need to really take another look at Liberty GB v.9 As well as fixing their MMS issue too..

falseprofits

Reaction score
This is most certainly the theme causing this.

The theme is installing a themed and unsigned apk rather than the stock gmail (hence the theme).

The theme maker just has to sign the apk that they themed and that should clear up these issues.

Basically when the market downloads the gmail app, it sees Gmail in the system/app folder, but its signed differently, so in turn you get that error from the market.

Basically you just need to remove that system app with titanium, liberty toolbox or some root explorer, reboot, install from market, fix perms. Should be all good.

Sent from Eugene... And yes, my phone has a name.

OP
MendedLogic

MendedLogic

Reaction score
This is most certainly the theme causing this.

The theme is installing a themed and unsigned apk rather than the stock gmail (hence the theme).

The theme maker just has to sign the apk that they themed and that should clear up these issues.

Basically when the market downloads the gmail app, it sees Gmail in the system/app folder, but its signed differently, so in turn you get that error from the market.

Basically you just need to remove that system app with titanium, liberty toolbox or some root explorer, reboot, install from market, fix perms. Should be all good.

Sent from Eugene... And yes, my phone has a name.
Ok now that you put it that way it makes perfect sense and I will bring this to the theme makers attention.. Thank so much for your in put its much appreciated. :)

OP
MendedLogic

MendedLogic

Reaction score
I spoke to the themer for the theme I use and he said its not the theme because he never themed gmail which was one of the apps I had a heck of a time trying to get updated.. So now this brings me back to the Rom being the problem..

Migamix

Reaction score
Running Liberty GB v.9 with Gingercomb Juiced theme.. Having problems installing updates in the Market I get an error stating "package file was not signed properly" Anyone have any ideas?? Some apps I have no problems but seems system apps I do..

This seems to be an issue created by titanium or other sideloaded backup...at least for me it was. I found that uninstalling the problem app in titanium. Then installing it again from the market solved my "not signed " issues... sometimes you may flash a Rom... do a backup from that Rom.... then flash a different rom later... restore the backed files.. and the market gets all crazy and doesn't like the version... it seems to compare the file by name.. and checksum be damned that it is really not the same programme ...