Update today

Abby Normal

Reaction score
When using the new voice mail does that go against your data time or is it free when using WiFi ?

OK so I actually read the terms and conditions and if I understand them right this will go against your data time and WiFi isn't useable... Is this correct?

Jelly Belly

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Ultra
I don't want to install this new update...given what I've heard about its results (reduced battery life...visual voice mail/which I don't use...removal of pass-over to activate notification screen, etc.). How do I disable it/get it to stop appearing on my screen?

Abby Normal

Reaction score
Someone correct me if Im wrong but I don't think you can stop it from appearing.

It will come back after powering up for sure

You can install the update but not turn on advanced calling 1.0

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't want to install this new update...given what I've heard about its results (reduced battery life...visual voice mail/which I don't use...removal of pass-over to activate notification screen, etc.). How do I disable it/get it to stop appearing on my screen?
You are correct Abby....you cannot stop the New Update Is Available notification. It will keep coming back until you install. Installing the update will not turn VoLTE on...only make it an available option. Installing the update should not affect battery if you do not enable VoLTE at Verizon & on your phone.
Someone correct me if Im wrong but I don't think you can stop it from appearing.

It will come back after powering up for sure

You can install the update but not turn on advanced calling 1.0

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When using the new voice mail does that go against your data time or is it free when using WiFi ?

OK so I actually read the terms and conditions and if I understand them right this will go against your data time and WiFi isn't useable... Is this correct?
I'm pretty sure the basic visual voice mail and standard voice mail are both free and don't count against your plan....data or minutes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm pretty sure the basic visual voice mail and standard voice mail are both free and don't count against your plan....data or minutes.

I am going to jump in here and say I disagree. Visual Voicemail DOES use data, since the audio clips of the voicemail are MP3 files. The files are stored on the servers of Verizon, and when you "play" them, they stream from the servers. If you want to save them locally, you can, but it warns you that if you do, they will be deleted from Verizon's servers and cannot be retrieved again so if you lose them on the phone such as if an SD card fails, or your phone dies, you can never hear the Voicemail again. This was DELIBERATE by Verizon to keep you using MORE DATA.

This is why I use Youmail. Since you ALWAYS have to download Voicemail files, why not just download them once the first time and then you have them. Since Youmail will allow you to retrieve them again, if you need to you can always recover existing Voicemails on your new phone.

Below is a sample screen shot of Youmail. This shot shows the Translations service included (at a cost).

e8256298e1dbbe3e1e83a4a5f1a24283.jpg

And of mine with the names cut off. I don't subscribe to the speech to text translation, just use the free voicemail retrieval.

c11c4d8cd66156349bd9c468cd76d56f.jpg

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am going to jump in here and say I disagree. Visual Voicemail DOES use data, since the audio clips of the voicemail are MP3 files. The files are stored on the servers of Verizon, and when you "play" them, they stream from the servers. If you want to save them locally, you can, but it warns you that if you do, they will be deleted from Verizon's servers and cannot be retrieved again so if you lose them on the phone such as if an SD card fails, or your phone dies, you can never hear the Voicemail again. This was DELIBERATE by Verizon to keep you using MORE DATA.

This is why I use Youmail. Since you ALWAYS have to download Voicemail files, why not just download them once the first time and then you have them. Since Youmail will allow you to retrieve them again, if you need to you can always recover existing Voicemails on your new phone.
Thanks for the clarification Foxkat! Good to know info. I plan on checking out the voice mail app you use...sounds pretty cool & useful. Sorry for the bad info I stated.....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the clarification Foxkat! Good to know info. I plan on checking out the voice mail app you use...sounds pretty cool & useful. Sorry for the bad info I stated.....

It's not bad information. I am a proponent of tell us what you know, and if it turns out wrong we all learn. I may be totally wrong about it going against your data and if so, I'll be the first to admit it. There's one sure way to know...try to listen to a voicemail with the mobile data and wifi off. I'm going to try that now.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Alright, so here's the scoop...

"Airtime and other charges will be incurred when using VoiceMail from your wireless phone. Mobile to Mobile Calling Minutes do not apply to Voice Mail retrievals; you will be charged to maintain your connection to VoiceMail. Verizon Wireless is notliable for missed messages or deletions of messages from your VoiceMail, even if you have saved them."

What does that mean??? It sounds like to me that they are charging airtime to listen to the voicemail, just like as if you were listening to the phonecall. This is really no surprise to me.

Charged to "maintain your connection to VoiceMail"?? Well, that's a very interesting wording and I can't imagine what that means, other than that maybe it's another way to say you're going to incur minutes usage to retrieve the messages.

The "other charges" may be the data costs to download the messages.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I've been on volte for about a month and haven't noticed battery drain. I still get about 8 hours screen time on wifi or 6 hours screen time on lte. I'm not a huge talker on the phone though, I make on average 6 calls a day lasting 1-2 minutes. I do like new visual voice mail very much, more so then even video calling. My wife loves video calling on her LG g2.

Just curious...same time frame here...did you ever toggle it Off and then back On...or have you had it On the whole time? I am not even getting close to 6 hours of screen time like I used to. Just looked and Voice Calls is showing at 8% of battery use and I have not made a call yet today. Phone Idle is 10% and Cell Standby is at 6%. Maybe I need to do a FDR and give this a chance with a fresh start?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Update...

So, I'm being told that when the message is left on Visual Voicemail, you incur no charges, no minutes used, no data costs. The time you ARE charged is when you "retrieve" (read "listen to"), that message, at which point you are being charged "AIRTIME". Now, that is quite contrary to what I would expect, however the explanation I used when questioning is that "unless I take constructive receipt of the message, it will have not and will never cost me anything?" The answer was "that is correct". Now, what I couldn't get an answer to is if I choose to "download" the message and save it locally, would it then also incur data charges. I have to believe it would, however nobody will commit to answering that question.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Update...

So, I'm being told that when the message is left on Visual Voicemail, you incur no charges, no minutes used, no data costs. The time you ARE charged is when you "retrieve" (read "listen to"), that message, at which point you are being charged "AIRTIME". Now, that is quite contrary to what I would expect, however the explanation I used when questioning is that "unless I take constructive receipt of the message, it will have not and will never cost me anything?" The answer was "that is correct". Now, what I couldn't get an answer to is if I choose to "download" the message and save it locally, would it then also incur data charges. I have to believe it would, however nobody will commit to answering that question.

Thanks FoxKat...very good info. Maybe their Voice Mail system (regardless of which type of VM you use) is not using the 4G signal? I guess it would make sense that "downloading" a message would use data...just like downloading anything else.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks FoxKat...very good info. Maybe their Voice Mail system (regardless of which type of VM you use) is not using the 4G signal? I guess it would make sense that "downloading" a message would use data...just like downloading anything else.

Exactly, and to prove that I can't retrieve the voicemails without incurring data charges, I put the phone onto mobile data off mode, and guess what? I got the following screen when I left myself a voicemail message from my office line...

65cf329fdb7b0c2d5365829f97ad1921.jpg

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just curious...same time frame here...did you ever toggle it Off and then back On...or have you had it On the whole time? I am not even getting close to 6 hours of screen time like I used to. Just looked and Voice Calls is showing at 8% of battery use and I have not made a call yet today. Phone Idle is 10% and Cell Standby is at 6%. Maybe I need to do a FDR and give this a chance with a fresh start?
I've kept it on since I had it activated. Spent hours on the phone today sorting problems with my wife's phone but here are my usages and battery at 26%
91cf5acd320b91d3a5e14aba8fe84ae2.jpg

9561a1e2e8156b222a1565fbfdbbd37b.jpg

2fe277cc4b1894cb40c54a6da669b913.jpg

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
I have all Voice mail blocked as I don't want it, but every time I receive a text I get a bloody pop up about a voice mail update. Have tried 3 different text apps and get it on all. There is no turn off option on Voice Mail. I hope this goes away with 5.0.