Update Stock Rom portion to latest JB OTA

gossipninja

Reaction score
How do I go about updating the Stock rom portion of my D4 to the JB OTA?

I have seen bits and pieces about how to do it, but I don't want to brick my device or lose my CM10.1 (3/16). So I figured a basic walk through would help many users.

Details:
Safestrap 3.11 with recovery installed
Stock rom - Untouched (I don't think I rooted it)
Slot 1 - CM 10.1 (3/16 build Do not think it is kexec)

Can I just flash the JB OTA while booted in Stock or do I have to Fastboot /RSD?
Does the JB OTA kill my CM 10.1 (because I think it is an ICS kernal)?
Where do I get Kexec builds for CM 10.1 (I heard that CM hosted were not Kexec)?

Thanks in advance.

GigaJake

Reaction score
Detailed instructions here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=239333

If your current CM rom is kexec, you can back it up for after the update. If it isn't, you'll be starting over.

Boot into your stock slot and go into the safestrap app and remove the recovery. If you've modified your stock system or the ota won't install, please fastboot back to the official ics release (instructions in the link provided).

Using the instructions provided in my thread, go ahead and get your device on Jellybean. There's also instructions on how to root. Safestrap 3.11 will still work and you can get CM back up and running.

D4 Kexec CM10.1
http://androidhosting.org/?dir=Devs/hashcode/maserati/cm-10.1

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

kwyrt

Reaction score
How do I go about updating the Stock rom portion of my D4 to the JB OTA? I have seen bits and pieces about how to do it, but I don't want to brick my device or lose my CM10.1 (3/16). So I figured a basic walk through would help many users. Details: Safestrap 3.11 with recovery installed Stock rom - Untouched (I don't think I rooted it) Slot 1 - CM 10.1 (3/16 build Do not think it is kexec) Can I just flash the JB OTA while booted in Stock or do I have to Fastboot /RSD? Does the JB OTA kill my CM 10.1 (because I think it is an ICS kernal)? Where do I get Kexec builds for CM 10.1 (I heard that CM hosted were not Kexec)? Thanks in advance.
Can I just flash the JB OTA while booted in Stock or do I have to Fastboot /RSD? - You are going to have to fastboot. Safestrap changes some things that the OTA looks for causing it to fail. Use jsnweitzel's Droid 4 ICS Utility to fastboot. Boot back to stock, remove safestrap recover, uninstall safestrap app, then fastboot using the utility. Use option 12 as it fixes what needs to be fixed in order to flash the update without wiping out your data. Then boot into stock recovery and flash the OTA from stock recovery. After it boots up re-install safestrap app and safestrap recovery and you should be good to go. This is what I did and it worked fine. Does the JB OTA kill my CM 10.1 (because I think it is an ICS kernal)? / Where do I get Kexec builds for CM 10.1 (I heard that CM hosted were not Kexec)? - If you are running ICS kernel CM10.1 then yes, you will not be able to use it. I believe the newer nightly builds are all kexec. Not sure about 03/16 though. I would go out and grab the newest build from get.cm, flash it over your current build, and then go from there. That way, when you update your stock system to JB your CM10.1 install will still work fine. Good luck!

Damn. Gigajake beat me to it. All that typing for nothing. ;)

Last edited:
OP
G

gossipninja

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone, I will hopefully tackle this later today.

kenji91

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone, I will hopefully tackle this later today.

Make sure you download the JB OTA file to your external sdcard or move it there from the internal one. I believe the default download folder is on the internal card.

supershot666

Reaction score
I get this error whenever I try to fasboot. I have tried to make space on both the external and internal SD cards, and make space on my computers Hard drive all have at least 4 gigs free. Any help?

Edit* I think I figured it out I will report back shortly

Yeah it was not clear to me in the instructions that you were to flash the .xml file that you extract from the .zip file. not the actual .zip file itself. Tried flashing the .xml extracted from the .zip and it worked perfectly.

Last edited: