Update Check

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My Nexus 6 will not automatically check for updates, and when i press the 'check for update' button...........it laughs at me and nothing happens. I have to pull the SIM card in order to have it check. Has anyone else had this occur? Any thoughts on a fix........ I'm currently on MMB29K (purchased from Moto, on verizon).

Thanks

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have not seen any post or report of this happening. I would do a Factory Reset and see if it solves your issue..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have to agree with Jeffrey. This is the first case of something like this I've seen.

Since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming you're not rooted and/or running any custom ROM/etc?

If that's the case, I'd do a Factory Reset for sure.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Nope, not rooted. Just trying to avoid an FDR cause I hate setting everything back up. Good thing is, when an update is available, it does show up. Just doesn't check for one otherwise unless the SIM card is removed.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's actually not as bad to fdr and set a phone up if you backed up your apps and settings to Google. When you go to start over, it will ask you if you'd like to set the phone up like a phone you've already used. Select the same phone and at least you don't have to go through and download all of your apps individually. Some will even have saved your app data and the apps will be setup the same way you had them before.

They added this in Lollipop and it has improved with Marshmallow. Still takes a little bit of work, but nothing like it used to when you'd have to make a list of your apps and download them all manually if you weren't rooted and running Titanium backup or something.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Now rockin' MMB29S. Turned off the Nexus 6, pulled the SIM card and checked for updates. It downloaded seamlessly, and installed with no problem.