Android 2.2 OTA from VZ changed its mind

Veronis

Reaction score
I woke up this morning with a message on my phone that said a system update was available. I was so excited that I finally got the 2.2 OTA from Verizon. I pressed the Install Now button and it said "Your system is currently up to date."

So I manually went to Settings -...-> Check for Updates, and got the same message. Verizon hates me.

I double checked and rebooted the phone. I'm still on OS 2.1-update1 and manual update checks yield the same result.

*headwall*

Anyone else have this happen?

Death

Reaction score
Why not manually update it then ? The files for the droid were released for manual updating. As well as the Flash 10.1 upgrade package.

OP
V

Veronis

Reaction score
Why not manually update it then ? The files for the droid were released for manual updating. As well as the Flash 10.1 upgrade package.
Thanks for letting me know.

Is it the official VZ release of 2.2, or an unofficial root-required thing? I don't want to root my droid right now. No time to do the research (much less time to read these forums in detail). Et tu work/life. ;)

Where are these two updates found? I checked the market and came up empty-handed.

DasMuse

Reaction score
i had the same problem this morning... said it updated but didn't... just froze on the motorola logo for 20 minutes then i took the battery out and restarted...

the thing is i tried forcing it to update MANY times before and got this error every time:

Assert failed : apply_patch_check (”MTD : Boot : 2504704 : 0b5ee101da41148aa026a32848f609fa4b05403e:2875392:d 104d2ec84a2d0660e786c0fb8174bfacb4079d6″)
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

so neither worked for me... except i didn't get the update notification again after i restarted.

what should i do?

(keep in mind my phone is not rooted or modified in anyway)

Death

Reaction score
If you search the forum for the offical 2.2 froyo stock unrooted update, as well as the flash 10.1 update, you should be able to locate each.

The phone has its own built in recovery/update bootloader built in from the factory. Just find the update file, download it. Connect your phone to your computer, mount the SD card. rename the update file that you downloaded to update.zip, then put that file on the root of the SD card ( not in a directory )

Shut the phone off. When off, open the slider/keyboard, hold down the xbutton, then press power and continue to hold x ( you may release power )
then choose install update.zip and off you go. all your info should be retained and you should now be running 2.2. You can then download androzip or some other sd card reader/browser app. You can then download and install the flash 10.1 apk, then nav to it with the newly downloaded app, and just choose install. tada. If this is all to complex or appears to be to involved for you, then simply wait for your OTA update that may never come, or find a cool VZW store who is willing to manually update it for you.

Das muse, find the 2.2 unrooted update file. create a copy and rename it update.zip. Then put it on the root directory of your sd card ( again, not in any directory ), then fire the phone back up and see if it will install. If not you may need to wipe some other data however i would check with the recovery squad just to insure you dont nuke it.

Last edited:

DasMuse

Reaction score
If you search the forum for the offical 2.2 froyo stock unrooted update, as well as the flash 10.1 update, you should be able to locate each.

The phone has its own built in recovery/update bootloader built in from the factory. Just find the update file, download it. Connect your phone to your computer, mount the SD card. rename the update file that you downloaded to update.zip, then put that file on the root of the SD card ( not in a directory )

Shut the phone off. When off, open the slider/keyboard, hold down the xbutton, then press power and continue to hold x ( you may release power )
then choose install update.zip and off you go. all your info should be retained and you should now be running 2.2. You can then download androzip or some other sd card reader/browser app. You can then download and install the flash 10.1 apk, then nav to it with the newly downloaded app, and just choose install. tada. If this is all to complex or appears to be to involved for you, then simply wait for your OTA update that may never come, or find a cool VZW store who is willing to manually update it for you.

Das muse, find the 2.2 unrooted update file. create a copy and rename it update.zip. Then put it on the root directory of your sd card ( again, not in any directory ), then fire the phone back up and see if it will install. If not you may need to wipe some other data however i would check with the recovery squad just to insure you dont nuke it.

what kind of data would i have to wipe? i would rather not reset my phone but if i have to i have to... could that error be because i have to much stuff on my phone? because i already tried that update.zip thing in the root directory on the sd card and thats the error i kept getting.

Death

Reaction score
Its possible you didnt get the OTA 2.2 update.zip file and instead have a rooted copy and hence the failed install.

Look for the OTA Froyo 2.2 OFFICAL release. Rename it to update.zip. Put it on the root of the sdcard, and try again.

As i had stated previously, if this doesnt work, may want to go check with the rescue squad and give as much info as possible. ( another part of this forum. )

OP
V

Veronis

Reaction score

Thanks for the direction. You rock dude.

I found the files you mentioned by doing some digging on the forums; booted with x (had to hold Volume-Up + Camera to get the bootloader menu to display), then installed the update that I placed on my SD Card.

Was able to use ASTRO file manager (free from Market) to install the Flash APK from SD Card.

Thanks a ton for the info. Very easy once I found the files.

No issues; 2.2 running smoothly. Original Moto Droid, unrooted, updated to 2.2 from 2.1-update1.

Files:
Android 2.2 OTA (official release) for unrooted phones: 9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip
Adobe Flash final: Flash_v10.1.92.8.apk

thomas.rolfson

Reaction score
DasMuse,
I had the same thing happen to me. Couldn't wait for the OTA, tried to manually install, got the infamous "status 7" error message every time i tried to run the update file, finally got the OTA, which didn't take, so i found another update file, which was SO CLOSE to getting all the way through before it would give me some more error BS.

Then, my phone got stuck on the motorola logo, and i pulled the battery, called verizon, and they told me to do a factory reset as a last resort, seeing as how I could not get past the logo. So after the factory reset, I am filling out the gmail settings while still on tech support, and my phone does a random shutdown, as it has done occasionally for the past few months. I explained this to tech support, and they said i could get a warranty phone for that reason (which is funny because when i told them about all my attemps at manually updating the phone, they weren't pleased and initially threatened a warranty void).

So i finish up with tech support (they think my phone is nuked at this point) satisfied that i am getting a refurbed one in the mail, and finally get my droid powered up, and bam! froyo! one major hitch though, i have no service, and have no real hope of getting any. the airplane logo is hovering over the service bar display, but in the menu, airplane mode is deselected. I can, however connect to wifi. tech support has no idea why, but thinks that if an install doesn't go perfectly, you might get trouble. i agree that this could happen. they then stated their displeasure that they were given no way to handle downgrading the phone after an upgrade had been completed. since i was getting a new phone anyways i didn't really want to waste an afternoon on the phone, so i stopped there. maybe they should start encouraging rooting??

none of that may help, but maybe it will give you more insight to your issue. hope you get your phone crankin' like it should be. i can't wait til tuesday...

TR