[Upd] Apple Revises Lawsuit Against Samsung; Gets Nastier; Doubles Offending Devices

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
This is childish.... half the phones don't look like the i****.... they want the phones so they can in return steal Samsung's stuff and try to make the iPhone win again.

Without being privy to all of the details, I would consider it rather presumptuous to call this foolish or childish. Corporations don't let their attorneys stay employed long if they recommend or support frivolous lawsuits such as these patent cases if they are all without merit.

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
This is childish.... half the phones don't look like the i****.... they want the phones so they can in return steal Samsung's stuff and try to make the iPhone win again.

Without being privy to all of the details, I would consider it rather presumptuous to call this foolish or childish. Corporations don't let their attorneys stay employed long if they recommend or support frivolous lawsuits such as these patent cases if they are all without merit.

this is just my opinion

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

this is just my opinion

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you or your point of view.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Actually I think its the Touchwiz they are worried about. Only some of Samsungs hardware actually is similar (I'm looking at least at the Droid Charge, the last phone it reminds me of is the iPhone), but its the Touchwiz UI that really mocks the iPhone. The shape of the icons, the colorful style, the sideways swiping app drawer, etc... I agree I think Apple added some of the other ones just to spite, but I agree, if they are going this far, why not include every single other phone that is anywhere remotely close to what an iPhone is or does?

anyone remember back when another company had the trademarked name "iPhone" and Apple stole it anyway?

Insidious

Reaction score
Apple is being ridiculously hypocritical. Remember the record company apple? And their logo? Apple stole that, along with iOS 5 being a BB, Android, and Windows imitation. Also, every samsung phone I've ever seen has looked nothing like the iphone. Apple is being a big bully. I dislike them even more >xD!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Apple is a joke.

They say Samsung copied them. Not only do most of these look NOTHING like the iPhone, but how many ways can a phone look?
A touch screen rectangular phone is pretty much the best way. You can't expect samsung to use triangle designs that have three sliding keyboards.

And nobody wants to copy the iPhone design. It looks like its pulled out of Job's a**.

Plus iOS 5 is a big copy of Windows/BB/Android (yet its way behind and still looks worse)

You can tell why there not bringing Moto and HTC into this huge mess.... it'd be 3v1.

jseah

Reaction score
If the other companies suspect Apple is stealing their patents, they can file lawsuits. This is the corporate world. It's not a nice place. At all.

There are a number of companies that have filed patent infringement and trademark lawsuits against Apple.

1. Last week iCloud Communications sued Apple for using "iCloud".

2. 2 years ago, Nokia filed a lawsuit claiming Apple infringed on 7 of their patents. Last week, Apple agreed to pay licensing payments to Nokia. The licensing payments will include a lump sum payment of up to $608 million with an additional $138 million in licensing payments every 3 months.

3. 3 years ago, SP Technologies filed a lawsuit against Apple for infringing on their patent for multitouch.

4. 3 years ago, Klausner Technologies filed a lawsuit against Apple for infringing on their patent for Visual Voicemail.

5. 3 years ago, Minerva filed a lawsuit against Apple for infringing on their patent for a "mobile entertainment and communication device".

6. Last year, Elan Microelectronics filed a lawsuit against Apple for infringing on their patents for multitouch.

7. When Apple originally filed their lawsuit against Samsung, Samsung countersued alleging Apple infringed on their patents in Germany and South Korea and Japan.

8. About the same time Nokia sued Apple, St. Clair Intellectual Property sued Apple for infringing on their patents in the iPhone's camera. This company has also sued many digital camera manufacturers, with both Canon and Sony losing in court, and Fuji, Minolta, Nikon and Olympus avoiding court by signing licensing agreements.

9. Motorola filed a number of suits against Apple for infringing its 18 patents related to W-CDMA, GPRS, 802.11 and antenna design, as well as other smartphone technologies such as wireless e-mail, proximity sensing, application management and location-based services.

10. In 2010, NetAirus Technologies filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Apple for the "concept" of the iPhone since their patent describes a "wireless handset communication system".

I could go on, but that is just from the first 4 pages of search results (excluding duplicates) from Google.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
And that's fine. I hope they do keep going against Apple as well. It helps keep everyone in check. I know it looks like it, but I'm not holding Apple faultless, just explaining the business side. Whoever has a legitimate claim will either get money off of it or an agreement from the court. Either one works.

What I would like to know more of is what the outcomes were on both sides.

And inadvertently, you showed what I was saying. ALL corporations do this. This is nothing new.

jseah

Reaction score
And inadvertently, you showed what I was saying. ALL corporations do this. This is nothing new.

That's the point I was implying as well. For corporations now, especially in the high tech arena, patents are viewed as just another revenue stream. They will hire a bunch of really smart people, have them "invent" things, and file patents (which the company owns, not the person who "invented" it). Then their attorneys go after companies whose products or processes vaguely resemble their patents for license fees. Essentially the company can make money without ever actually producing a product.

Xerox, for decades, has maintained a facility in Palo Alto, CA (Xerox PARC - Palto Alto Research Center) where their employees were told to essentially use their imagination to come up with things. The most famous idea to be stolen from there came after a visit by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak and they were shown a computer graphical interface that could be controlled by a device that moved a cursor on the screen (the first computer mouse) and files could be dragged and dropped and deleted by being moved to an icon of trash can.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple has added more phones to the lawsuit because of TouchWiz, it has nothing to do with the look of the phone. There is not a single person in here who can deny that TouchWiz is a ripoff of iOS. The lawsuits are certainly getting out of hand but to be fair Samsung could have been a little more innovative when creating TouchWiz.

i3izkit12

Reaction score
Hmm.... So.... Does this mean I'm not gonna have a Galaxy S2 in my hands anytime soon?...

Bilgediver

Reaction score

That's the point I was implying as well. For corporations now, especially in the high tech arena, patents are viewed as just another revenue stream. They will hire a bunch of really smart people, have them "invent" things, and file patents (which the company owns, not the person who "invented" it). Then their attorneys go after companies whose products or processes vaguely resemble their patents for license fees. Essentially the company can make money without ever actually producing a product.

Xerox, for decades, has maintained a facility in Palo Alto, CA (Xerox PARC - Palto Alto Research Center) where their employees were told to essentially use their imagination to come up with things. The most famous idea to be stolen from there came after a visit by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak and they were shown a computer graphical interface that could be controlled by a device that moved a cursor on the screen (the first computer mouse) and files could be dragged and dropped and deleted by being moved to an icon of trash can.

But you see there Xerox actually had a working prototype. The problem is that Xerox had no idea how to market a computer that was standalone, they were thinking of making the Xerox Star as a part of a copying machine!

The major irony, of course, is that Apple (I believe) tried to sue Bill Gates for copying that very same UI that they stole from erox!

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Apple has added more phones to the lawsuit because of TouchWiz, it has nothing to do with the look of the phone. There is not a single person in here who can deny that TouchWiz is a ripoff of iOS. The lawsuits are certainly getting out of hand but to be fair Samsung could have been a little more innovative when creating TouchWiz.

It really depends. Is touchwiz honestly another evolution when compared to their previous featurephones? I really don't know, I've never owned one of their featurephones or pre-Android smartphones. It could be their featurephones had a similar UI look when it came to their on-screen icons.

I can't answer that, maybe someone here can answer that?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Go and look at some of the new phones that listed...

One doesnt even have Touchwiz on it. More with Stock Android is added.

Honestly....these new phones doesnt make any sense. It went from the Galaxy S is confusing ppl into thinking its an iPhone ...to this.