UNROOTED freezing and auto rebooting problems

jaketino

Reaction score
As of about a week ago, my phone has started acting up and freezing on me. I never really had this problem before and just blew it off, took the battery out and restarted it. I have always had problems with the phone rebooting itself. Ever since the first day I had the phone. Yesterday was the worst, the phone would go in my pocket, sit for a little while, and then when I pulled it out and tried to unlock it via the button, I would only get a black screen and no response from any of the touch buttons on the bottom. I could tell the screen was on because there was a sight amount of light coming off the screen, but I would have to pull the battery out to try it again. It seems like the frozen apps are causing the black screen problem, but I don't know what is causing the auto reboots.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have also read that dead pixels on the screen could be the mark of a bad phone. I have one. What should I do???

wildbill86

Reaction score
I have 2 dead pixels on my screen, and no issues. I think it's hard to freeze things on these globals because the way things are linked to blur. Hear freezing music app is really bad. Make sure nothing is set to auto end in the stock task manager, make sure in-pocket detection is turned off, and no task killers. I originally had slide unlock reboots on mine from out of the box, but an sbf, and folling the instructions above have made my phone work with no issues.

Sent from my rooted D2G

OP
J

jaketino

Reaction score
Okay, I got rid off all task killers, made sure there was nothing set to auto end in the task manager and made sure the in-pocket detection was turned off. So now it should keep running all day long without freezing? And would it be advised to just take my phone in and get them to give me a new one due to the dead pixels?

wildbill86

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the pixel thing, I can only see mine when my screen is booting up when the screen is black. I'm just not going to worry about them.

Sent from my rooted D2G

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Are you rooted? I only ask because you said you froze some apps and the only way that can be done is if you have root. You could try a number of things but they would require root.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
J

jaketino

Reaction score
Hmm... that's true.

I just had the phone freeze up on me again, even with all that I did before. But this time it just froze on the home screen rather than go to a black screen. Progress? Lol.

OP
J

jaketino

Reaction score
I didn't mean that I froze the apps, but that while I was in the apps, they stopped working and then I would go and hit the home button and nothing would happen. I would then lock it and unlock it, hoping that it would fix the problem. Then all I would get was a black screen and I would take the battery out after that. This happened to me like 8 times yesterday. Very annoying....

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Ok. Now I understand. Have you tried a program to clean up memory. I have suggested superbox to people. It is free in the market. It has an option for freeing up memory and cache. If that does.not work you could try sbfing it. Only problem with that is it will totally wipe your phone to out if the box settings. Or with root there are other options but your warranty becomes void.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
If you are near a charger next time you get the black screen just plug it in and see if that wakes it up. Not a real solution just easier than a battery pull.

OP
J

jaketino

Reaction score
Okay, I'll try superbox. I don't want to sbf it and I don't really want to root it. And I have tried to plug it in while it was at the black screen, but it really didn't have any affect. Thanks anyway. :)

William_04_x

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems. I'm getting rid of apps one by one. I tried the Superbox suggestion(thx BD), but still have issues. Please keep this updated if you find a solution.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
What type of homescreen replacement app if any are you useing.

William_04_x

Reaction score
I had LauncherPro for months and got rid of it two days ago.

During one instance yesterday, the phone went black, then started vibrating for almost 10 seconds straight.

Still having to pull the battery at least 10 times a day.

My wife's D2G has never had a home screen app. Hers has been working normally, after locking up for a couple days.

No frozen/auto end apps ever on either phone.

Not trying to hijack your thread, jaketino. It sounds like my phone is doing the same exact thing as yours.

William_04_x

Reaction score
I just got rid of Lookout app. Phone won't connect to global or CDMA network now. No 3G icon and my wife is 3 ft from me with no problems. Wifi connection to my home router is only thing available.ARGGGG!!!!

OP
J

jaketino

Reaction score
I've never had a home screen app.

VegasD2G: its fine. I just want everyones problem to get fixed. The vibrating could be because someone called it. I tested that out yesterday and it would keep vibrating till I pulled the battery out