Droid 2 Global not showing home screen, and other problems.

Steffylicious

Reaction score
So I just got a Droid 2 Global today, and I've been having a lot of problems with it. I got it off of ebay, pre-rooted and sim unlocked.

First of all, it doesn't show anything at all on the home screen. It just shows a black screen. The notification bar still works, and pressing the home button brings up voice activation still.

Also, it has some problems rebooting. Rebooting the phone causes it to hang at the red droid loading screen. The only way I can get it to boot is by doing a factory reset.

Any ideas how to start fixing it?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Do you have any idea how it was rooted or anything else done to it? Sounds like they removed everything. Do you have an app drawer?

Sent from somewhere...

OP
S

Steffylicious

Reaction score
The only other thing I can see that's been done to it is it's had ClockworkRecovery installed. The seller claims he onlyonly rooted and unlocked it.

And no, the app drawer isn't showing up either.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Hmmm in clockwork wipe data then reboot and see if that does anything.

Sent from somewhere...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Well....I'm outa ideas. Could try loading a ROM if there is one for the D2G.
I can figure out how the notification bar is there and nothing else. If you don't want to get into ROMs and all that i'd call the seller and ask what's up.

Sent from somewhere...

leobg

Reaction score
Edit: Fixed the charging thing. Turns out it was just when trying to charge via USB.

I've already tried the Team DeFuse rom (Team DeFuse - Bringing you the FIRST Android Vanilla ROM to Droid2 and DroidX!, which the seller suggested as well), but that didn't seem to change anything.

Looks like previous owner had removed some apps that are required to go thru initial setup. Seems like whoever sold you the phone has been trying to play with theme/rom installations.
Also Team defuse ROM has reportedly bricked few D2G's so far. If you are still able to go to Clockwork recovery (not original recovery), you have a chance to try restoring nandroid backup from a working D2G, if somebody is kind enough to provide you with. Your other option is to wait for official (signed) SBF to become available.

Last edited:
OP
S

Steffylicious

Reaction score
Ah balls. Last night, on a whim, I decided to try re-installing the defuse ROM. I think it's bricked the phone, it just sits on the M logo now... I can still get to the normal recovery mode by holding X, but I can't get to Clockwork Recovery.

leobg

Reaction score
I am afraid you are out of luck until SBF arrives.. Hopefully this will not take much too long.

ILikeWaffles

Reaction score
Funny you mention that. Same thing was happening to my D2(non global) today. All while I was trying to trade a friend for a global. We both factory reset to activate and mine was doing that black screen trick. I am running a rom though and had to sbf for it to start functioning correctly again.

When I was rebooting it was getting stuck on the red eye.

My phone is working from a backup and maybe when you factory reset on a rom that was installed from a backup it conflicts with something. So I sbf'd and reinstalled the rom and all seems ok.

OP
S

Steffylicious

Reaction score
Damn dude, that sucks. But yeah, I've got no idea what happened with mine, it happened as soon as I received it.

So I guess I'll be waiting on the sbf then. Any idea how long the Droid 2 normal one took to drop? I see that the Droid X sbf was was out under a month after release, so that's somewhat comforting, I guess.

OP
S

Steffylicious

Reaction score
A couple of quick questions:

First of all, when the SBF is leaked, how exactly does one go about flashing it?

Second of all, my phone's battery seems to be dead and not charging. I'm guessing that's because it's bricked. When plugged in to the wall outlet, it just sits on a screen with a big ? inside the battery. As soon as I remove it from the wall outlet, it switches back off, and won't boot back up. It also won't charge via USB.

Is this going to be a problem when attempting to flash the SBF when it's out?

leobg

Reaction score
SBF is flashable via Motorola service tool - RSD Lite, which you can download.

Phone needs a working OS in order to be able to charge the battery. In your case you will need to charge the battery before flashing SBF - either on another Droid/Droid2/Droid2Global (as the battery is the same among all of them), or using external battery charger. Once you charge the battery, you can start up the phone in boot loader mode and flash the SBF via RSD Lite.

OP
S

Steffylicious

Reaction score
So the Droid, Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global all have the same battery? That's good, I guess. I should be alright buying a spare battery then?

[Edit] Hurr durr, a spare battery would come uncharged. I'll need to get an external charger.

Last edited: