unrevoked forever upgrade to android 2.2?

amlucent

Reaction score
Ok, A while back I used unrevoked to root my droid incredible (android 2.1) so I could get android wifi teather (for when I am on call for work). not too much later I saw unrevoked forever and I thought this will be good so I can never loose root.. so I installed that to turn S-OFF. So a couple months ago Verizon tried to push android 2.2 to my phone and the install failed. I am not sure what I need to do next.. Do I need to remove unrevoked forever (if so wtf was the point of putting it on and coming out with a version called "forever")? Do I need to completely unroot my phone and go back to stock 2.1 then do the upgrade? I cant loose wifi teather, i depend on it too much. Thanks for the advise guys.

OP
A

amlucent

Reaction score
by any rom I wish, this includes the stock verizon/HTC 2.2 rom right.

Thank you Doug!

ok, i did this and it seemed to do nothing. also when I boot I already have clockwork recovery so that may be the issue. When I look at the system update page it tells me my system is up to date however my software version is still 2.1 update 1... Some reason its not showing that I deserve the ota update. Thoughts?

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am so sorry. I read your post wrong. Do you want to have the official ota? Or will any 2.2 rom do? Cause if you already have Clockwork recovery you can flash any rom you please right now.

The new roms will require a radio upgrade but that is easy with s-off.

I thought you were on the ota and needed the recovery. Let me know what you want to do and I'll help you all I can.

OP
A

amlucent

Reaction score
I currently have stock (unrevoked forever rooted) 2.1 update 1 and it wont let me update ota so far. I just want to go to the current version of the stock rom and I need to keep root (or a way to tether, but android wifi tether is preferred).

When I boot into hboot and choose recovery it shows clockwork recovery 2.5 somthing..

I kind of like sense ui and I think that with a custom rom I would loose that right and have stock aosp?

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With a custom rom you lose nothing. You can change back and fourth as you please. There is a rom that is based off of the ota that works much better. It is on rom manager and it is called Virtious. I would highly recommend you upgrade the radio as it will be needed for the cam and 720p camcorder to work correctly.

OP
A

amlucent

Reaction score
Ok I will take Virtious for a spin. Will it wipe my phone? and most importantly can you point me to instructions to upgrade my radio as you suggested?

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The same way you tried the last one. Rename to PB31IMG and flash through hboot. This is for the radio to go to 2.15.09.01

http://dougpiston.com/files/radio/PB31IMG-radio-2.15.00.09.01.zip Wait until it asks you to reboot before touching

Then dl'd Virtious or any other rom you'd like through rom manager. And yes it will and you should wipe the phone.

OP
A

amlucent

Reaction score
Doug, TYVM for taking the time.. very nice guy. Backing up my photos now and going to start the upgrade.

Sorta off topic but one thing I have always wanted was to be able to wake up my phone by pressing the nipple instead of the power button at the top. Is there a hack or way to do this?

doobie711

Reaction score
hahaha never heard it called nipple, always trackball. there is an add-on you can get through rom manager that wakes your phone with the trackball button. i was too used to my droid and found that i rarely use the trackball, but hey if you want it it works.

OP
A

amlucent

Reaction score
yeah its an incredible.. it has a nipple not a track ball.. true story

doobie711

Reaction score
i still call it a trackball even though it's optical. if it was a nipple i might never have gotten it from laughing so hard in a reps face. or slapping him for sexual harassment.

OP
A

amlucent

Reaction score
Ok, i dont think this radio update worked... just to be clear, when you say to rename this file I should leave the file extension of .zip on it right?

I try to apply PB31IMG.zip.. I rebooted into hboot.. chose recovery.. then now im in clockwork mod recovery v 2.5.0.1. I select install zip from SD card. and point it at the PB31IMG.zip right?

if i do that it immediately dumps me back out in the main clockwork recovery screen.

doobie711

Reaction score
how familiar are you with the rom manager from the Market? I don't remember exactly but i think there were options for some of the roms that let you install the radio update through rom manager so that it made it easier and found the files for you.

OP
A

amlucent

Reaction score
I purchased the premium version of rom manager back when I had the moto droid... all I ever used it for was to install cyanogen though. I will give that a shot.