unresponsive screen and .acore crashes with no rhyme or reason

istrix

Reaction score
Myself for sometime now and a friend recently have both been having the same problem with our phones. Mine is a first gen droid, hers a droid 2. For some reason, and with out warning the touch screen will simply stop responding to touch. I've noticed this happens some times when I slide it open, though other times it simply stops responding when I'm in the middle of using it. Now I've used a magnet to unlock the phone and the rest of the keyboard and other buttons function properly. We've done the same with her phone with the same result. I have pulled the battery and left it off for a few minutes and had it snap right back to perfect functionality, and I've also pull the battery over and over multiple times and had the problem persist. Also, for some reason when my roommate who has his own ring tone calls maybe 30% of the time the phone will start working perfectly There does not appear to be any one action on either of our parts that seems to consistently cause or correct this problem.

Furthermore, more often than not when the phone is in this state of not feeling the touch screen attempting to use the phone as a phone or open contacts causes a .acore crash. If someone calls most of the time the ring tone will loop infinitely, or freeze up. Has anyone else had problems like this? I was thinking it might be hardware until my friend started having the same problem.

Both of us are using unrooted phones, and I factory reset my phone after the first big update because I felt it negatively affected my phone's performance, I don't know much info on her phone past it isn't rooted and has the same problem mine does.

OP
I

istrix

Reaction score
and now the replacement droid 1 I got is doing the same thing. Your telling me that three phones around me are doing this and no one else has had this problem? really???

louy99

Reaction score
Does it do it when you do a factory reset?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've read of a number of issues causing this and the solution in most cases seemed to be a Factory Reset.

OP
I

istrix

Reaction score
no progress

Unfortunatly a factory reset didn't help, actually left the phone almost useless whem I couldn't get past the "touch to start screen". It finally decided to work and still shows the same problems with no warning. I've done a little reading and think a bad digitizer or ribbon cable could be to blame, but that doesn't explain the .acore crashes when trying to access the phone or contact lists, or the fact thatthey only acrash when the screen stops working. I have a hard time imagining that two phones in a row suffer from the sme perfect storm of hard and software failure