Screen Stops Responding After Timeout

nemad78

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to posting on the forums here and am hoping the veterans can help me out before my wife loses her mind and kills me in my sleep.

Recently her phone started acting up and she is becoming increasingly frustrated with it. Basically, on a fresh power on the phone works perfectly. All apps run, all functions are solid, settings are adjustable, etc. however, once the screen times out and you hit the power button - or slide it open - to wake it up, the screen no longer responds to any inputs. The screen looks like it should, and will change orientation if you rotate the phone, but will not respond to any inputs. I've tried the standard slide lock, a lock sequence using dots above the slide lock, thinking maybe a dead spot was forming, and finally, rooted and flashed the phone with the Project Elite 5 ROM. So far, the behavior is consistent - first entry to phone is perfect, but once it goes dark and you bring it back, no love.

If anyone out there has seen similar symptoms, I'd love to know how to go about addressing them, if such an option exists.

Any information anyone has on this one is greatly appreciated.

Jonas

Reaction score
Does the phone start rapidly vibrating by any chance? I had this exact problem after a bad rainstorm. What had happened was a very tiny amount of water had gotten under the screen, and anytime I touched the screen, my phone would just vibrate like someone was rapidly touching the screen, and would not accept any input from me. Maybe your wifes phone took a spill, or it could be something as simple as the phone was in the room, and a really hot shower was near it. If the problem persists, I would go to your local verizon store, and tell them about it. Go in planning to get it replaced, and try not to "settle" for them to just "see what they can do". Best of luck on this!

Sent from my Banana Phone

OP
N

nemad78

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jonas, but nothing like that is going on. Her phone has been doing this for the last 1-2 weeks with no real changes in how it behaves. We've been in to a couple of stores, but all they were willing to do was perform a factory reset and try a couple things with/without the SD card in place - although they were more than happy to offer to sell us a replacement phone at full price since we're not quite yet to the upgrade window.

Jonas

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jonas, but nothing like that is going on. Her phone has been doing this for the last 1-2 weeks with no real changes in how it behaves. We've been in to a couple of stores, but all they were willing to do was perform a factory reset and try a couple things with/without the SD card in place - although they were more than happy to offer to sell us a replacement phone at full price since we're not quite yet to the upgrade window.

Well then the only thing I can tell you is to just ride it out, and when you do upgrade make sure you get that $8 insurance. I don't know how many times I've had to use it. What it is, and this is my verizon wireless, it may be different from yours, but you pay like $8 when you get that phone, and then if your phone breaks, they will replace it, and the deductable is only $40 at the max. And a few times I've actually gotten free ones. It kinda depends on what the malfunction is. Mine have usually been simple ones,like I dropped it in a bath tub, I hacked it, and soft bricked it, so I went and played stupid, and they helped.

One thing I would suggest is to try a sensor test. Go to the market, and serach "sensor test". There's one called device Z tester or something like that. Run it on your phone, and let it test your touch sensors, maybe you have a bad touch sensor?

Also, I noticed you said this has been happening about 1-2 weeks now. Is your wife by any chance on the new OTA Gingerbread update? You didn't specify the model, so I can only speculate, but over in the D2G community, the OTA update was not playing nice with our phones on some features. That's another possibility. If that's the case, I can walk you through what's called an SBF flash. This will knock your phone back to out of the box new, and refresh all the software. This would rule out any software glitches.

Please feel free to PM me, I know how annoying a malfunctioning phone can be.