Unlocking your Phone

cece5702

Reaction score
Under the new ICS how do you all prefer to unlock your phone? I've tried the face lock but dont care for it. Half the time it doesnt recognize my face..Lol...I'm just using the slide option to unlock my phone for now until I determine which lock feature works best.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I use the swipe too.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I am using Go Locker but still prefer the swipe to unlock the best myself. If the stock one didn't vibrate upon unlock I would probably still be using it.

Edit: A little side note here, I just installed the new leak of the .214 and the vibrate when unlocking was toned down a bit. I still don't like it but it is much less intense than it was before.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have WidgetLocker set up to allow me to unlock the phone by any three of the following ways: 1) using one of several sliders to open an app directly (I current have 6 set up on my lockscreen), 2) tapping an unlock icon in the middle of the lockscreen, 3) tapping the capacitive back button. Unless I'm opening a specific app, I find myself using the capacitive back button the most.

Tuna62

Reaction score
I use the stock swipe to unlock for a couple reasons. I like being able to pick camera, message, or unlock. I don't worry about the security of it because my phone never leaves my side.
Most importantly, in an emergency, I want someone else to be able to open my phone and call for help. Had a lady pass out at Lowes and smash her head...watched two people trying to use her locked iphone to call 911 to no avail, as I was walking up.

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Tuna62 said:
I use the stock swipe to unlock for a couple reasons. I like being able to pick camera, message, or unlock. I don't worry about the security of it because my phone never leaves my side.
Most importantly, in an emergency, I want someone else to be able to open my phone and call for help. Had a lady pass out at Lowes and smash her head...watched two people trying to use her locked iphone to call 911 to no avail, as I was walking up.

Some very good points. I was thinking the very same thing. I like to have easy access to my phone. My phone is with me all the time never leave my side either. I prefer the swipe unlock better.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

With any of the security unlocks enabled - pattern, pin, password, or face unlock - there's an option on the lock screen to make an emergency call. So, even if you have one of those enabled, and there is an emergency, someone can still use your phone to make an emergency call.

Also, if you want someone to be able find your information and contact you in the event that you've lost your phone, you can place any info you want (name, number, email, etc.) on the lockscreen itself. That way, they can see who the phone belongs to without digging through your device.

Both of those things aside, I don't use any type of security on my phone. There are many times when I want instant access to something, and a pin/pattern/password/face unlock just annoys me. :)

Last edited:

Tuna62

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
With any of the security unlocks enabled - pattern, pin, password, or face unlock - there's an option on the lock screen to make an emergency call. So, even if you have one of those enabled, and there is an emergency, someone can still use your phone to make an emergency call.

Also, if you want someone to be able find your information and contact you in the event that you've lost your phone, you can place any info you want (name, number, email, etc.) on the lockscreen itself. That way, they can see who the phone belongs to without digging through your device.

Both of those things aside, I don't use any type of security on my phone. There are many times when I want instant access to something, and a pin/pattern/password/face unlock just annoys me. :)

I haven't looked hard enough to find the option to add the info to lock screen. I know by default it isn't there, so if your not very savy, like yourself, you wouldn't know to put it there... Like the lady at Lowes. :-( Good point thou.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I haven't looked hard enough to find the option to add the info to lock screen. I know by default it isn't there, so if your not very savy, like yourself, you wouldn't know to put it there... Like the lady at Lowes. :-( Good point thou.

Settings -> Security -> Owner info -> select "Show owner info on lock screen." You can then type the information that you want to be displayed in the space below that.

You're right. Many things are buried in the settings, and while it doesn't take a tech savvy person to be able to find them or use them, you do often have to spend some time looking for them. And sometimes they aren't in a place that you'd think they'd be. For many of them, it definitely takes exploring the settings to find or asking someone about it.

chhare

Reaction score
The one thing I found about the owner info is that it scrolls on the home screen when the phone is locked. But, the scroll isn't finished before the screen goes dark again if the message/info is long. Consider keeping it short and sweet.

DocsDad

Reaction score
"No Lock" app for me. Its never locked and never had an issue. I plan to use a pin # if I want it secured tho.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
"No Lock" app for me. Its never locked and never had an issue. I plan to use a pin # if I want it secured tho.

With ICS you can set it to have no locking and it actually works now like it didn't in GB. You press the power button and you go right into your home screen, just FYI in case you didn't know.

Moose381

Reaction score
Ha!!!!!!

Reading this thread got me to playing with my lockscreen and I discovered something very interesting. I'm using Go Locker....and when I press the lock button the phone comes on to the lockscreen....when I slide the button there it goes to the pattern unlock screen. I did the whole thing for security, set up a pattern unlock code, etc. Have been using it faithfully. Sometimes if I'm in a tight spot or in a hurry I'll mess up the code and have to do it again. I'm tired of that and was thinking of just getting ride of the security code. But now I discover that when the pattern unlock code shows up, I don't have to do the pattern at all. I just click on the home button on the bottom of the phone and it goes directly there. The whole pattern unlock security is just imaginary on my Maxx.....one button bypasses it. Go figure.

DocsDad

Reaction score
With ICS you can set it to have no locking and it actually works now like it didn't in GB. You press the power button and you go right into your home screen, just FYI in case you didn't know.

Awesome... Thanks for the tip!

brucefulton

Reaction score
I am using Go Locker but still prefer the swipe to unlock the best myself. If the stock one didn't vibrate upon unlock I would probably still be using it.

Edit: A little side note here, I just installed the new leak of the .214 and the vibrate when unlocking was toned down a bit. I still don't like it but it is much less intense than it was before.

Mine doesn't vibrate on unlock, stock OTA ICS. Never did that I recall.