Question about the face recognition unlock feature

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I would like to know if you use it what are your impressions and can you set 2 different faces to unlock the device?

I ask because my wife has a Xoom which will get the ICS update eventually. She hates entering the password and would love to try the face unlock feature. I use her Xoom occasionally and want to know would I have to hold the Xoom in front of her face to unlock it or will it remember my face also? Can you do face and password unlock or is it one or the other?

Thanks

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i feel like it's a big security problem as its pretty inaccurate. why couldnt someone with a photo of you get into your phone?

Tas

Reaction score
Faceunlock is a cool feature that I use. Unfortunately it doesn't work all the time. When you enable Faceunlock, it will ask you to enter a password so when Faceunlock doesn't recognize your face, it will let you in.
There is also the option to improve face matching. I have improved it with a hat and without.. With glasses and without. With beard and without. So 90% of the time, it recognizes my face. It will never get it in low light though. But I do enjoy using it though.
I never tried using two different people's faces though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ntrddragn

Reaction score
I used it for a little while. To me its more of a gimmick then anything. Hardly see my face and night time forget about it. Its to dark. I just have trace pattern now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I actually love the face recognition feature. And the improving recognition does help. My problem is about time I imptove it to where it is just right I find myself trying a different rom. With that said out the box its it or miss and if you choose to improve it then it actually gets better. But to the ops point there is really no need for 2that faces as long as she know your pin she can get in the phone. But that may be something may come in the future especially for something like tablets where more than one person may use that device.

eric.scheman

Reaction score
I would like to know if you use it what are your impressions and can you set 2 different faces to unlock the device?

I ask because my wife has a Xoom which will get the ICS update eventually. She hates entering the password and would love to try the face unlock feature. I use her Xoom occasionally and want to know would I have to hold the Xoom in front of her face to unlock it or will it remember my face also? Can you do face and password unlock or is it one or the other?

Thanks

You can try visidon applock plus from the market. This was one of the 2 apps I've ever bought. Its nice cause it have the liveness detection which is supposed to help make sure its a real face and not a picture. But I haven't tried it with 2 faces ever.

Reaction score
nothing more than a cheesy marketing gimmick. it's much quicker to simply swipe your freakin finger :icon_eek:

captdroid

Reaction score
nothing more than a cheesy marketing gimmick. it's much quicker to simply swipe your freakin finger :icon_eek:

+1 :D GF uses the face recognition and likes it but I don't bother with it. To slow for gaining access to my phone.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I'll say this, it works very well and very quickly unless you're in the dark.

Having said that, I see no point in why you would use it unless you're worried about someone stealing your device.

I don't have any incriminating photos on my phone, so if someone steals my Nexus out of my pocket I won't be worried.

Maybe I'm naive and more people than I know keep private information on their devices.

Obviously at work you may have data that isn't available to the public on any of your devices. At my company we use random digital number generators that are linked to our computers/tablets so that it's impossible to get into them unless you have the generator which is about the size of a USB thumb drive.

As other's have said, if she wants to use the face unlock, just make sure you know the pin number, that way you won't need her face to unlock the device. You'll simply hold it up to your face, it will deny your face and ask you for the pin number.

orion2001

Reaction score
I've started using it because I don't like the idea of someone being able to access my phone if I were to misplace it. While I have nothing "incriminating" on my phone, it is an easy gateway into my gmail account and pretty much all my other online accounts. Someone with half a brain and evil intentions could do some serious damage to me once they had access to my phone and my gmail account. Not to mention the fact that I have documents in my gmail archives (tax returns), etc, that I would never want anyone else being able to access.

While I initially thought of it as too gimmicky, I have actually grown to like it. It is fairly fast to unlock once you have "Trained" it and is faster than using the pattern unlocker in most cases (unless you use some ridiculously simple pattern). You can also always click on the lock icon at any point when you wake the phone up to jump straight to the PIN enter section and unlock the phone via a PIN. While I understand that face unlock is not completely secure (can be tricked by photographs), I'm not worried about people I know accessing my device, and the convenience of quick unlocks by face detection outweighs that small risk.

To the OP - while it won't recognize both your faces, you can just use the PIN to unlock the XOOM whenever you wish to use it and your girlfriend could use the facedetection/PIN to unlock it for herself.

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. It's good to know that the pin will still unlock the Xoom.

I want it to be secure because she leaves it in her desk at work and you just never know. Like the one poster said access to her gmail account and some other documents needs to be protected.

Reaction score
I've started using it because I don't like the idea of someone being able to access my phone if I were to misplace it. While I have nothing "incriminating" on my phone, it is an easy gateway into my gmail account and pretty much all my other online accounts. Someone with half a brain and evil intentions could do some serious damage to me once they had access to my phone and my gmail account. Not to mention the fact that I have documents in my gmail archives (tax returns), etc, that I would never want anyone else being able to access.

While I initially thought of it as too gimmicky, I have actually grown to like it. It is fairly fast to unlock once you have "Trained" it and is faster than using the pattern unlocker in most cases (unless you use some ridiculously simple pattern). You can also always click on the lock icon at any point when you wake the phone up to jump straight to the PIN enter section and unlock the phone via a PIN. While I understand that face unlock is not completely secure (can be tricked by photographs), I'm not worried about people I know accessing my device, and the convenience of quick unlocks by face detection outweighs that small risk.

To the OP - while it won't recognize both your faces, you can just use the PIN to unlock the XOOM whenever you wish to use it and your girlfriend could use the facedetection/PIN to unlock it for herself.

you do realize someone can use a pic of you to get past it, right? :D

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
you do realize someone can use a pic of you to get past it, right? :D

Yes and that was my plan to get into the wife's Xoom until I found out that the password option comes up once it doesn't recognize your face.