Unlocking the Droid 3 and Using it

anoopch

Reaction score
Hi friends,
I got a used Motorola Droid 3 as gift from My friend. I would like to know if i can unlock the device for using it with a GSM network. The droid 3 Seems to have a GSM SIM inserted and is advertised as a GLOBAL ready phone. Do i really need to unlock or something? Also I'm bit intrested in using a custom ROM like CyanogenMod for the Device. Since I'm new to the Droid 3 could you suggest a few Good ROMs?

Also if you could suggest some tips on using the phone for better battery or some tweaks i'd be really happy to welcome them. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Thanks...

pdiddybuck

Reaction score
You can unlock the sim card on your D3 with some places like
cellunlocker.net or unlockfusion.net. The only problem is that it's only good for internation carriers. So, you will not be able to use it on any U.S. GSM carriers like AT&T. But, if you go to Europe, you can buy one of their Sim cards and use your phone.

Sent from my Lib.V2.0_D3

OP
anoopch

anoopch

Reaction score
Thanks for the Info

You can unlock the sim card on your D3 with some places like
cellunlocker.net or unlockfusion.net. The only problem is that it's only good for internation carriers. So, you will not be able to use it on any U.S. GSM carriers like AT&T. But, if you go to Europe, you can buy one of their Sim cards and use your phone.

Sent from my Lib.V2.0_D3

Ya I'm from India. Our GSM Bands are 900/1800 for 2G and 2100 for 3G, which is supported by the Motorola Droid 3. Are these unlocking services reliable? I'm not coming to US atleast for 5 years:)biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:).

W-CDMA in 2100MHz. I'm not sure about this to work.

CDMA2000 1X, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev. 0, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev. A, and CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev. B --- Not sure about these as well. 850MHz in India

If you have any info on them supported in India, please do Post back.

From Wikipedia: Seems Droid 3 Supports all the above Bands..... :biggrin:

DROID 3: CDMA2000 800/1900, EV-DO Rev. A
GSM 850/900/1800/1900 UMTS
WCDMA 850/1900/2100
Comp atible networks

Last edited:

rustydogg

Reaction score
I got my unlock code from swift unlock. Very fast service and so far I've gotten two droid 3 unlocked. I read somewhere that something like 30 percent of them can't be unlocked. Also once you unlock them you can't use them on US GSM networks. However the guys over at XDA have found a way to get it working with them. Guide - Unlock XT862 for T-mobile/ATT - xda-developers haven't tried it yet myself but I've very interested because I'm thinking of switching over to T-Mobile from Page Plus. However I just figured that that 3G won't work on this cel on T-Mobile. I'm going to T-Mobile to take advantage of their $30 a month unlimited text and internet. Got me an HTC Sensation to try it out but I'm really going to miss the keyboard on the Droid 3.

anonymous-x

Reaction score
Better late than never, I've been w/Verizon awhile so I called & the Global Dept. gave & unlocked my D3 for free.

OP
anoopch

anoopch

Reaction score
Thanks.
I got mine from Verizon. Paid nothing..

Tell them that you are going abroad for business trip or vocation. Bingo. For this you need to have a good account.

Reaction score
If you want to use it in the states on T-Mobile or AT&T, you can remove the SIM lock with the code from Verizon, then use the XT883 radio.img and a modified build.prop to remove the USA carrier lock. Unless T-Mobile refarms your area, you'll be stuck on 2G, but it gets 3G on AT&T this way. I have mine working fine on T-Mobile right now on the $30 prepaid unlimited-data plan. There's a tutorial in the Droid 3 forums on xda. This works on any official system version, plus at least one person reports it works on the ICS builds people are working on.

Duanevw

Reaction score
My question is, can I keep my Verizon # or what's the best method to import your number as Im still in contract with the droid3, then I would have to may a early termination fee correct? Or is there a loop hole where I can use the Verizon normally then AT&t when I insert the Sim? Im just a little confused with the ending details, I understand about flashing the radio image and all..

Do any of you understand what Im trying to ask or get too? I take it if it works on a prepaid at&t sim and signal strength is better then its one way or the other???? Correct???? I just can't talk on my version no more let alone receive text unless I go down the Rd. 11 miles. I UPDATED PRL M NY TIMES NO DIFFERENCE.

Please, any thoughts how I should handle this in the end and maybe get away without termination fees since I did move about 1 month after a contract to Droid3 with I grew to love every bit of it on stock and the new updates.

Thanks many, maybe Im just thinking too hard about this too :(

Last edited:

asmamjad

Reaction score
HELP me get a code please

Better late than never, I've been w/Verizon awhile so I called & the Global Dept. gave & unlocked my D3 for free.

Hey : i am stuck with a droid 3 which i bought thinking could be unlocked with a code. but it couldn't.I am stuck with paying $300 . Is there any one who is a verizon customer who can talk and get a code on behalf of me please.

uzziah

Reaction score
unlocking

Hey : i am stuck with a droid 3 which i bought thinking could be unlocked with a code. but it couldn't.I am stuck with paying $300 . Is there any one who is a verizon customer who can talk and get a code on behalf of me please.

i unlocked my droid 3 from verizon via ebay i also purchased the d3 on ebay but first off all your ime number must be valid any unloking service will ask for it cause the code (network code) is unique to the phone some services will check it free on line this is my first android device i am living in Trinidad and Tobago i rooted the device running steel droid 4.6( better when rooted) e have two gsm networks digicel and bmobile i can use any sim from either network i was also informed by the unlocker that the phone will work any where else except the u.s.a( fine by me). i did a lot of youtubing and googleing to actually get the phone fully functional most useful help came from these forums and xda developers this link gave me two codes the first one worked Unlock Code for Verizon Motorola Droid 3 XT862 Droid 2 Global A956 Droid Pro | eBay good luck to all the nuubs. ps. if you already purchased a code and it did not work do not keep trying makes things worst more than twice correctly is enough to know you got a bad code i am only giving this link cause it worked for me and the link only deals with verizon

Darklink83

Reaction score
Hi there I just moved from the US to Australia and had my phone unlocked. The Droid 3 unlocked with no problem and I can make phone calls just fine but I have no internet access or 3G or anything related to the internet. I've looked through the wireless/networks and such but with no real solution. I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing or something I didn't do.

anonymous-x

Reaction score
@Duanevw

Sad to see sad situations with some of your D3's.
Normally once you enter an aggreement with a carrier , you owe them, until your contract is up.
I'll ask in another, but is anyone thinking of getting another cell phone besides the D3?

pallat

Reaction score
Hi friends,
I got a used Motorola Droid 3 as gift from My friend. I would like to know if i can unlock the device for using it with a GSM network. The droid 3 Seems to have a GSM SIM inserted and is advertised as a GLOBAL ready phone. Do i really need to unlock or something? Also I'm bit intrested in using a custom ROM like CyanogenMod for the Device. Since I'm new to the Droid 3 could you suggest a few Good ROMs?

Also if you could suggest some tips on using the phone for better battery or some tweaks i'd be really happy to welcome them. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks...

ya, you will need to unlock your mobile.Without unlocking you can't able to use another network provider.You can unlock your mobile using unlock code.If you need unlock code visit Mobile-unlocker.com Here you can get your unlock code with simple unlock instructions via e-mail.So you can easily unlock your mobile by yourself

jon32796

Reaction score
I want to get my dg3 to work with att

Junior Droid, I am thinking about about getting a droid 3 global from my boss for $100 and trying to get it to work with att in florida.
How much trouble did you have with getting yours to work with tmob?
Thanks for reading this,
John in Florida