Unlocking Incredible 2 for use with other SIM cards?

roover

Reaction score
When I went into the Verizon store the guy said he had done something with the SIM card so that the phone would be ready to function abroad. I spend a good part of my year out of the country and he suggested that I call tech service and get them to unlock the phone so that it could be used with SIM cards from other service providers. I was reading on here about people getting unlock codes, but don´t know if the code they get enables them to use other companies SIM cards or if it´s the same thing the guy in the store did for mine.

I have a SIM card from a non-Verizon/Vodafone company that I can test with, but I´m afraid that it might mess something up if I just start popping in and taking out cards.

Help? Thanks!

goffredo

Reaction score
Out of the box, the phone is SIM-locked so that it will only accept the Verizon Vodafone SIM (that comes pre-installed). In order to use SIM cards from any carrier, all you need to do is SIM-unlock the phone. Then you can remove the Vodafone SIM, pop in whatever SIM you like, and it should work.

To SIM-unlock the phone, you need to call Verizon Global Services. After meeting certain criteria (I think they are: at least 6 months of existing service and you haven't tried to SIM-unlock a phone in the last year) will they will generate a SIM unlock code; have them walk you through applying it on the phone (it's not intuitive). From that point forward, your phone will magically work with any carrier's SIM card. As far as I know, this SIM unlock is permanent and will persist wiping all data on the phone, battery-pulls, power-downs, etc.

Hope it works! Best get this stuff all set up BEFORE you go abroad. Even though your international SIM won't find its carrier, the phone should at least take it without showing you any error messages like "Invalid SIM card!" when you turn it back on, and you'll just see no bars of signal, which means it's working but just can't find the carrier.

OP
R

roover

Reaction score
Out of the box, the phone is SIM-locked so that it will only accept the Verizon Vodafone SIM (that comes pre-installed). In order to use SIM cards from any carrier, all you need to do is SIM-unlock the phone. Then you can remove the Vodafone SIM, pop in whatever SIM you like, and it should work.

To SIM-unlock the phone, you need to call Verizon Global Services. After meeting certain criteria (I think they are: at least 6 months of existing service and you haven't tried to SIM-unlock a phone in the last year) will they will generate a SIM unlock code; have them walk you through applying it on the phone (it's not intuitive). From that point forward, your phone will magically work with any carrier's SIM card. As far as I know, this SIM unlock is permanent and will persist wiping all data on the phone, battery-pulls, power-downs, etc.

Hope it works! Best get this stuff all set up BEFORE you go abroad. Even though your international SIM won't find its carrier, the phone should at least take it without showing you any error messages like "Invalid SIM card!" when you turn it back on, and you'll just see no bars of signal, which means it's working but just can't find the carrier.

When I get to the country that corresponds to the other carrier the SIM will find it and should have signal, correct?

Thanks for your help!

goffredo

Reaction score
When I get to the country that corresponds to the other carrier the SIM will find it and should have signal, correct?

Thanks for your help!

Yeah that's the idea. Sure thing!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums