Unlocked phone/Straight Talk expert needed please

leland_7

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am about to mention the iphone in a droid forum. I love/use droid and apologize but just go with me here. I consider the iphone to be more user friendly and less of a learning curve for a non-tech type individual than the Android OS. Thus, it will hopefully create LESS questions for me and take up much less of my time. ;)
  • My gf doesn't do tech and needs a new phone so I am helping her.
  • She's currently with Verizon on a month-to-month plan after being moved from the family plan.
  • After looking at the in's and outs (as best as I can) of the $45 unlimited Straight Talk plans, I feel that it is at least worth a try.
  • I understand that there's a supposed 2GB data limit and that it will in no way be utilizing the faster LTE network. It will be the slower 3G connection which will probably work out best so as to not burn through the 2GB so quickly.
  • Like I mentioned, it may completely suck (coverage, customer support, etc.) but with no contract and being able to potentially save $1000+ over only a two year span seems worth a try.
I've done lots of research but would like some clarification before making a move.

I haven't used sim cards extensively. I think it used to be that either you had a GSM or CDMA type phone and you couldn't mingle between networks? That is old knowledge now, right? So, when you have an "unlocked" phone, this means you can use it with either a AT&T (GSM) or Verizon (CDMA/LTE) type network?

What I'm getting at is... If I purchase a full priced iphone 4s/5 to use with straight talk and it turns out we HATE it, can it then be easily used with either an AT&T or Verizon plan?

Also, as I understand... I will need to purchase a Straight Talk sim and cut it down to nano size for use with the iphone 5 (and maybe the 4s too?)

Thanks!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, CDMA devices will only work on CDMA carriers. If you get a 4s you will need to get the right type for whoever's network Straight Talk piggybacks on where you are. If you get a newer Verizon phone it will likely be dual band--I'm talking in general here and including Android devices--but the 4s will either be a GSM or CDMA version. Also, there's a difference between the CDMA chipset for Verizon & Sprint phones, so again you need to be careful about what iPhone you pick up. Make sure you read the listing carefully if you're buying it online.