Unlimited Data

shorty2012

Reaction score
I have unlimited data and I just spoke to a CSR from Verizon and he told me that when I upgrade I will be put in a shared plan. But can get my unlimited data plan back by having a CSR call me back with in the 14 days of my upgrade. He said a lot of people are not told this. I will see how true it is when I upgrade next week.

deduct

Reaction score
I have never heard of this before. I hope its true but I have a feeling that rep was bs'ing you so that you will sign a new contract.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The only way to retain unlimited data is to buy your new phone full retail or used. That's it.

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"

OP
S

shorty2012

Reaction score
I hope not . I was asking about the shared plans and he just openly said I could keep my unlimited. I will definitely call back and make sure before I do anything.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope not . I was asking about the shared plans and he just openly said I could keep my unlimited. I will definitely call back and make sure before I do anything.

A salesman will tell you what you want to hear, they want the sale. You will lose unlimited if you upgrade with a subsidized phone like JStafford said.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The only way to retain unlimited data is to buy your new phone full retail or used. That's it.

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
this

A salesman will tell you what you want to hear, they want the sale. You will lose unlimited if you upgrade with a subsidized phone like JStafford said.
and this

If you upgrade at a subsidized price you will lose your unlimited data plan, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Don't even take the risk to see if the CSR is right cause you'll 99.9% lose your unlimited data with no way of getting it back.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
A CSR can do pretty much anything. Yes you'll lose your data because the system won't allow it to transfer but that doesn't mean its gone forever. The only question is how much do you trust him?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have unlimited data and I just spoke to a CSR from Verizon and he told me that when I upgrade I will be put in a shared plan. But can get my unlimited data plan back by having a CSR call me back with in the 14 days of my upgrade.

It's interesting that the CSR has to call you back for it to work. Even it was true, all the CSR has to do is wait until the 14 days are up.

When I had the LG Voyager a salesman said my data plan would automatically convert when the TV service came on line (there were 3 plans, 2 separate for data and TV, with a lower cost plan if they were bundled). It didn't.

And let us not forget how many "Update this week/month" threads came from a call to a CSR.

It would be nice if it were true.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A CSR can do pretty much anything. Yes you'll lose your data because the system won't allow it to transfer but that doesn't mean its gone forever. The only question is how much do you trust him?

I was a VZW CSR for over 3 years. I can tell you once your grandfathered plan (data, text, or whatever) is gone, it's literally an act of God to get it back. This is a classic case of a salesperson blowing smoke at the O.P.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I was a VZW CSR for over 3 years. I can tell you once your grandfathered plan (data, text, or whatever) is gone, it's literally an act of God to get it back. This is a classic case of a salesperson blowing smoke at the O.P.

I have to agree, three different reps at Verizon and Costco told me I would loose unlimited. The guy at Costco suggested that I get another line put a feature phone on it and I could then update one of my existing line. I didn't and bought my note 2 out right.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The only other way to keep unlimited is if you have more than one line and one of those lines is on a tiered plan, transfer any eligible upgrade to the tiered line, then activate the subsidized phone on the tiered line. Once the subsidized phone has been initially activated on the tiered line (very important), then you can switch the phone to your unlimited line and you won't lose your unlimited data.

It is exactly what I did when I bought my note 2... bought it on my son's tiered line, activated it on his line, then moved it to my unlimited line.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

geekabilly

Reaction score
You should seriously consider buying a used phone -- I have had great luck on craigslist (new-in box Razr HD for $260, mint Gnex $140) - met the sellers @ Dunkin' Donuts, popped my SIM in & booted -- Swappa is another good source, even got a great OG Razr on e-bay a year ago for $140 -- plenty of good phones out there, no need to lock yourself into another 2 year contract

deduct

Reaction score
You should seriously consider buying a used phone -- I have had great luck on craigslist (new-in box Razr HD for $260, mint Gnex $140) - met the sellers @ Dunkin' Donuts, popped my SIM in & booted -- Swappa is another good source, even got a great OG Razr on e-bay a year ago for $140 -- plenty of good phones out there, no need to lock yourself into another 2 year contract

Agreed. I got my wife's RAZR and my maxx on Craig's list and they are both solid phones.

I_Hate_My_Eris

Reaction score
This may be a little bit late but maybe this will help. I upgraded to the GS4 last month (subsidized through VZW) and accepted that I would lose my unlimited data. But I wasn't happy that they put the data limit on me for the current billing cycle so I called VZW to see if I could get a pass until the next billing cycle. But instead the CSR told me the exact same thing that the OP mentioned and switched my data back to unlimited. I've been waiting for the next billing cycle to see if I still had unlimited data before posting anything. New cycle and still showing unlimited!

What the CSR told me was that if you buy your phone in store they have to switch you to a capped data plan, but you can call and switch it back within 14 days. She mentioned something about being able to keep your unlimited data without switching it back and forth if you bought the phone over the phone (if that makes sense). I am on a shared plan with someone else that never gave up their unlimited data so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but she didn't mention anything about it being possible due to that fact. I was thinking about starting a new thread with this topic.