Unlimited Data Actually Limited to 5gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadystate

Reaction score
Whats the deal on this? I've read from a few websites along with the actual VZW wireless site that the unlimited data plan is capped to 5gb/month and if you exceed that Verizon has the right to cancel your account.

I plan to use my droid mainly for internet radio while driving to/from work and school and will exceed that 5gb limit very quickly. If this 5gb cap is true then I might not be getting this phone.

Any word on if this is true or not?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's true, but unless you are constantly streaming videos and downloading torrents, you're not likely to ever go over that limit. I believe there is an app in the Adroid Marketplace that keeps track of your data usage if you're still worried.

jakens84

Reaction score
It's true, but unless you are constantly streaming videos and downloading torrents, you're not likely to ever go over that limit. I believe there is an app in the Adroid Marketplace that keeps track of your data usage if you're still worried.

I'll have to check that out.

I have the data plan right now with VZW and I have never exceeded 2GB.
I stream Pandora most of my commute to and from work. I use GMAIL nonstop. Facebook is always reloading.

I am never concerned with going over any limit.

On a mobile device, it's sort of hard, not impossible though, to reach/exceed 5GB limit unless you're tethering.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whats the deal on this? I've read from a few websites along with the actual VZW wireless site that the unlimited data plan is capped to 5gb/month and if you exceed that Verizon has the right to cancel your account.

I plan to use my droid mainly for internet radio while driving to/from work and school and will exceed that 5gb limit very quickly. If this 5gb cap is true then I might not be getting this phone.

Any word on if this is true or not?

This is not true. The unlimited data cap is for the broadband / tethering option only. Been asked and answered many times in this forum, but i can't find the one that the verizon rep answered it also :)

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first, welcome to the forum! i think the 5gb limit is just for mobile broadband connect, but i'm not sure.. but like JhankG said, you've got to burn through a LOT of downloading/streaming to hit 5gb..

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
first, welcome to the forum! i think the 5gb limit is just for mobile broadband connect, but i'm not sure.. but like JhankG said, you've got to burn through a LOT of downloading/streaming to hit 5gb..

If your a heavy traveler and depend on GPS and like to have Ariel overlay and Google street view, it could tend to be alot of data passage also.

OP
S

steadystate

Reaction score
Ok lets say it is limited to 5 gb/month, listening to a 128kbps radio stream for 5 hrs a day:

128kbps x (1KB/8kb) x (3600sec/hr) x 5 hr/day = 288 MB/day

(5,000 MB) / 288 MB/day = 17.36 days

That gives me 17.36 days of 128kbps radio stream listening for 5 hours per day to exceed the 5 gb cap...

Thats half a month... and thats not factoring in other browsing/email/facebook/maps...

So if the cap is true... it sucks hard... :(

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's been confirmed by i think 2 verizon reps on the forum already that there is no limit if your just using your phone. The cap is for tethering / broadband access

OP
S

steadystate

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's no 5Gb cap or else they wouldn't say Unlimited. I think its just for tethering

I could have sworn yesterday while I was on the Verizon wireless website under the plans page fine print it had a section for unlimited data plan, and in bold it said the plan was only to be used for normal web browsing/email and not heavy streaming/downloading. It also said that VZW had the right to cancel any account that exceeded 5gb of data per month to protect their network.

I can't seem to find it now... so maybe it was for the mobile broadband like some others have said, but either way the plan was called "UNLIMITED". Don't call a plan unlimited and mislead your customers if you cut them off after 5gb.

5gb is nothing if you love Internet Radio as much as I do. :(

Jason

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's no 5Gb cap or else they wouldn't say Unlimited. I think its just for tethering

I could have sworn yesterday while I was on the Verizon wireless website under the plans page fine print it had a section for unlimited data plan, and in bold it said the plan was only to be used for normal web browsing/email and not heavy streaming/downloading. It also said that VZW had the right to cancel any account that exceeded 5gb of data per month to protect their network.

I can't seem to find it now... so maybe it was for the mobile broadband like some others have said, but either way the plan was called "UNLIMITED". Don't call a plan unlimited and mislead your customers if you cut them off after 5gb.

5gb is nothing if you love Internet Radio as much as I do. :(

Yea I was looking around to see what you were talking about and all I saw was the Mobile Broadband cap

romeov

Reaction score
The unlimited plan is definitely not unlimited, they got sued and although they still call it so (ridiculous) they now make sure to put the 5 gig cap in all the fine print. Not sure if it is for regular phone use or tethering, but I believe it's both.

Status
Not open for further replies.