Has anyone tried to sue Verizon over "unlimited" data plan not being unlimited?

jsmuli2

Reaction score
Ok, anyone who knows anything about Verizon wireless, knows that your "unlimited" data plan is actually a 5GB plan. When I questioned a sales rep about it, they say "oh well only 1% of users get close to 5GB or over" but that still doesn't mean I have "unlimited."

Has anyone sued them yet because of their false advertising?

huskur

Reaction score
This has been cover a zillion times. Unlimited is indeed unlimited. When push comes to shove Verizon has no leg to stand on. The thing is that when they review your data usage it has to be confirmed "cellular" usage and not tethered. If they can deem it to be tether usage than they can get you for not carrying the tether package.

FYI---i have gone over 5GB several times. 4 times in 2010 alone. No issues with VZW

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, anyone who knows anything about Verizon wireless, knows that your "unlimited" data plan is actually a 5GB plan. When I questioned a sales rep about it, they say "oh well only 1% of users get close to 5GB or over" but that still doesn't mean I have "unlimited."

There is NO CAP. Why sue for false advertising?
Maybe Verizon should sue those who say there is a cap for detriment of character or slander of reputation .
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

vatothe0

Reaction score
There is NO CAP. Why sue for false advertising?
Maybe Verizon should sue those who say there is a cap for detriment of character or slander of reputation .
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.
I would also like to sue them for stealing my time

Sent from my DROIDX

cpjr

Reaction score
Usually, the same people that are worried about going over 5gb of data in a month....are the same ones illegally tethering in the first place, lol. Because 5gb is A TON of data to use on a cell phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Usually, the same people that are worried about going over 5gb of data in a month....are the same ones illegally tethering in the first place, lol. Because 5gb is A TON of data to use on a cell phone.

+1

if you're worried about the cap, you aren't using your phone for what you agreed to on your contract.

I mean i tether too, but I don't watch full movies or anything.

CxUNG

Reaction score
I agree with this particular person ive used 7.4 gbs and didnt have any problems with Verizon & didnt use wireless tether at all.

This has been cover a zillion times. Unlimited is indeed unlimited. When push comes to shove Verizon has no leg to stand on. The thing is that when they review your data usage it has to be confirmed "cellular" usage and not tethered. If they can deem it to be tether usage than they can get you for not carrying the tether package.

FYI---i have gone over 5GB several times. 4 times in 2010 alone. No issues with VZW

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

tonydelite

Reaction score

You're full of crap.

Gritwater

Reaction score

your definition of "illegal" leaves something to be desired.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

your definition of "illegal" leaves something to be desired.
Whatever you want to call it -- it's against the TOS you agreed to.

techguru

Reaction score

Yes, about three years ago they were sued when they had a 5 gig cap and advertised it as unlimited. They re-connected everyone whose data had been disconnected for going over, and modified their TOS for about 6 months to define unlimited as actually meaning 5 Gig, and then about two years ago, they changed so that smartphone data (NOT tethered, for which they have a separate plan) is really unlimited.

If you regularly go over 5 gig they MAY start to investigate to make sure you are not tethering without a plan (yes, they can tell, but they need to sniff packets to do so, and so far there are no reliable reports of them ever having done so), but they won't cut you off so no need to think about another lawsuit.

Alan

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

A ton of data to some, is alittle data to others. Do i listen to music on my phone, yes.. do i watch HD youtube videos on my phones... yes... do i download apps and install updates on all the apps.. yes...

As stated in one of the 4g threads, it took only 32 minutes to go over 5GB of data usage. Doing all the things you can do with smartphones, and actually doing them, takes a bit of data. Not everyone got a smartphone for the same reasons, and i'm sure there are alot of people that got smartphones just because it's the IN thing to do.

And with the addition of hulu and netflix for 4g... i will use those to, why.. because when i'm on the go i will watch a movie. I use my phone with all the capabilities it has to offer.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
If you stream video 5 GB is not that hard to reach.

I was at 6 GB last month, playing with Netflix way too much.

My normal usage is 2.5 GB.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score

A ton of data to some, is alittle data to others. Do i listen to music on my phone, yes.. do i watch HD youtube videos on my phones... yes... do i download apps and install updates on all the apps.. yes...

As stated in one of the 4g threads, it took only 32 minutes to go over 5GB of data usage. Doing all the things you can do with smartphones, and actually doing them, takes a bit of data. Not everyone got a smartphone for the same reasons, and i'm sure there are alot of people that got smartphones just because it's the IN thing to do.

And with the addition of hulu and netflix for 4g... i will use those to, why.. because when i'm on the go i will watch a movie. I use my phone with all the capabilities it has to offer.

+1 actually watching YouTube videos and Netflix put me over 20 GB last month lmao

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score

Haha! While back I had "unlimited" texting and turns out they meant 2000 a month. One month they charged me for abusing it cause I sent 5000 texts and when I called they were trying to act smart with me.

anyway they got rid of all charges and I got family unlimited...which is real unlimited.