University email is gmail?

Leerides

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first time with a smartphone and my first time with mobile email. I searched the forums but didn't see anything that really looked like the problem I'm having.

My university email is [email protected]. Right now they are beta testing Gmail as the host, rather than Squirelmail which we had in the past. I have my personal gmail account synchronized on my Motorola Droid, but it won't let me add my university gmail account. When I try to go to Settings-> Accounts-> Add Account, and put in [email protected] for my account name and my proper password, it says that the username or password is incorrect. I also tried [email protected] and that didn't work either.

I have not set my university account to the email app because I've read on the forums of people having trouble with tons of notifications between gmail and the email app. I don't really want to forward one account to the other because other people have access to my university account. Is there any way to get my university gmail to push to the phone?

Thanks in advance!

Xerozix

Reaction score
Alright. What that means is that SquirrelMail really isn't your host.

Your host is ncsu.edu.

In other words, set up the account using the email application with the Droid.

When they say we have switched our email "host" to gmail, this means that they are testing out the capabilities of you accessing your email using gmail, so those emails remain on the server at school, but you can read them using gmail.

I'm not sure of the talk method of your server, but I imagine it's either POP or IMAP.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Your school is probably trying out Google Apps for Education. If that's the case you'll have to log in to your email account on your computer and go to settings then to Forwarding and IMAP/POP3 and enable IMAP or POP3. Then use whatever settings it gives you to set it up on your Droid.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
You may have to contact your college IT dept, to find out what to enter in the IMAP settings. I get my college mail through an email account on my Droid, separate from personal gmail which is how I like it, but my outgoing college mail on my Droid can only be rooted through gmail at this time, although I send it out from the same college email account from the Droid.

WolfDroi

Reaction score
For those using NC State's new GMail system and wanting Full Gmail on their Android..

Hey,

The solution is not intuitive. You can use the inherent Gmail App (not the regular Email app) on your Droid or any Android phone for that matter.

All you have to do is change your UnityId password. Not obvious I know, but I guess it resets something. And yes, you'll have to enable IMAP in your GMail settings.

So, after you change your password, wait about an hour. Then get on your phatty boom batty Android device and make a Gmail Account. Use the "Already have an account" option (paraphrased). Use your [email protected] as the sign-in name (e.g. [email protected]) and your new password as...the password. Should have no problems and you'll get full gmail functionality from your Droid, N1, myTouch, Hero or whatever sweet ass phone Android is on.

This should fix it. It did for me. Thank God State abandoned that ****ty squirrelmail service.

OP
L

Leerides

Reaction score
WolfDroi,

That worked! Thanks a ton now I can actually see my email on my phone! Who knew you could do that on a smartphone? Thanks.

hpmcmill

Reaction score
So glad I found this! I'm going to State in the fall and this was really helpful. :)