Universal Androot

n0m0n

Reaction score
Hello
I used a app called Easy Root is that the same thing as Universal Androot?
Also I upgraded to the leaked version of 2.2 for the DX.
I will be wanting to go back to 2.1 when Verizon releases the OTA 2.2.
Do I un-root first, or do I have to roll back to 2.1, and how?
If I can just un-rooted will the OTA still come to my device since its on 2.2 already?

Thanks

Backdraft

Reaction score
While noble, seems really naive to put out an app(s) that "easily" root your phone without, at least the option to, explaining and going into some detail on how it actually performs this process (and is similiar/different to traditional methods).

I mean, we're already geeks about this already if you're even remotely planning to do this to your phone, where's the hurt to geek about this?

Or to quote an age-old adage: "Ignorance is bliss."

EbE404

Reaction score
While noble, seems really naive to put out an app(s) that "easily" root your phone without, at least the option to, explaining and going into some detail on how it actually performs this process (and is similiar/different to traditional methods).

I mean, we're already geeks about this already if you're even remotely planning to do this to your phone, where's the hurt to geek about this?

You know, I really do have to agree with this. Going through the "hard process" makes sure that you have the tools and at least some familiarity with them to save yourself if something goes wrong (and it's rarely a matter of "if", rather it's "when", particularly when flashing ROMs and kernels).

Rooting really takes the training wheels off, and while you can go faster and do tricks, it does make it easier to steer into a tree as well.

Not to say that these are not viable methods, but I really do think that anybody who roots need to do the appropriate homework and research to make sure that you are familiar with things like nandroid, recovery operations, RSD and the rest of the tools.

I mean this as no offense to anybody who uses these methods to rooting-but I do have some concern that it almost makes the process too easy and it enables some to get in over their heads and skill level.

Reaction score

You know, I really do have to agree with this. Going through the "hard process" makes sure that you have the tools and at least some familiarity with them to save yourself if something goes wrong (and it's rarely a matter of "if", rather it's "when", particularly when flashing ROMs and kernels).

Rooting really takes the training wheels off, and while you can go faster and do tricks, it does make it easier to steer into a tree as well.

Not to say that these are not viable methods, but I really do think that anybody who roots need to do the appropriate homework and research to make sure that you are familiar with things like nandroid, recovery operations, RSD and the rest of the tools.

I mean this as no offense to anybody who uses these methods to rooting-but I do have some concern that it almost makes the process too easy and it enables some to get in over their heads and skill level.

I don't know, I kinda disagree. People learn to ride without training wheels, training wheels are like a bunny hill, no one learns to snowboard on a bunny hill.

I for one have rooted both ways, and the one click is a great method (so far) in my opinion. A lot of learning comes through experience, aka trial and error. If people want to learn, they have to be willing to invest time, and there is a certain factor of risk involved.

I don't think one click root programs are as much the problem, if you want to get to the source, you could blame all the "Maybe if you were rooted" and "You have to have root for that" posts. Ever since I got my phone I have been on this forum, and the entire time I have been here I have seen really only two groups of people, rooted and none. People that are on the none side just want to have their phone do all the goodness that the rooted side has. (example look up Star Bellied Sneetches by Dr. Seuss, haha)

Sure after people root they aren't exactly sure what to do, but they all have the knowledge that rooting voids warranties, and if their willing, then by all means make a one click solution that helps us to at least avoid the dainty task of an update.zip.

On that note, I am going to go play with my one click rooted droid thats OC'd now. :)

EbE404

Reaction score
I don't know, I kinda disagree. People learn to ride without training wheels, training wheels are like a bunny hill, no one learns to snowboard on a bunny hill.

I for one have rooted both ways, and the one click is a great method (so far) in my opinion. A lot of learning comes through experience, aka trial and error. If people want to learn, they have to be willing to invest time, and there is a certain factor of risk involved.

I don't think one click root programs are as much the problem, if you want to get to the source, you could blame all the "Maybe if you were rooted" and "You have to have root for that" posts. Ever since I got my phone I have been on this forum, and the entire time I have been here I have seen really only two groups of people, rooted and none. People that are on the none side just want to have their phone do all the goodness that the rooted side has. (example look up Star Bellied Sneetches by Dr. Seuss, haha)

Sure after people root they aren't exactly sure what to do, but they all have the knowledge that rooting voids warranties, and if their willing, then by all means make a one click solution that helps us to at least avoid the dainty task of an update.zip.

On that note, I am going to go play with my one click rooted droid thats OC'd now. :)

Good and valid point to be sure. However, you said it yourself that one needs to be willing to invest time and be willing to invest in trial and error-and have a willingness to study and learn.

I'm less concerned about the folks who visit forums like this, as there are plenty of resources here to do all of that. Rather, I'm more worried about the folks who stumble across the apps in the Market and have no clue about what they are getting into, let alone the wherewithal to fix an issue if it comes up.

n0m0n

Reaction score
Hey is this all about my question asking if Easy Root is the dame as Universal Androot?
I tried and tried the manual way but when I got to a certain point the ADB script failed OVER AND OVER again.
I tried to work with a veteran and scratching his head he advised me to try Easy Root.
Easy Root rooted me within moments.
I am just asking do I un-root first, or roll back to 2.01 first?
I am not a vet at this stuff but do try get the most out of this stuff.

So can you offer me direction, about my questions other then I did it wrong?
something to keep in mind... Maybe just maybe they didn't have computers when some of use went to school.
I know thats a crazy thought!

EbE404

Reaction score
Hey is this all about my question asking if Easy Root is the dame as Universal Androot?
I tried and tried the manual way but when I got to a certain point the ADB script failed OVER AND OVER again.
I tried to work with a veteran and scratching his head he advised me to try Easy Root.

something to keep in mind... Maybe just maybe they didn't have computers when some of use went to school.

Easy, tiger. Nobody is saying you did anything wrong or criticizing you, we just started riffing on a bit of a philosophical discussion.

While I can't make a direct comparison between the two, here's something that will help you out:

Sil3ntki11

He has posted a link to his thread and utility on AllDroid.

Sorry for the thread hijack ;)

n0m0n

Reaction score

Easy, tiger. Nobody is saying you did anything wrong or criticizing you, we just started riffing on a bit of a philosophical discussion.

While I can't make a direct comparison between the two, here's something that will help you out:

Sil3ntki11

He has posted a link to his thread and utility on AllDroid.

Sorry for the thread hijack ;)

OK I have been reading other threads about random reboots (which I am having) and now wonder if its because I rooted???
Maybe I should see if Easy Root is as advised and if it will un-root with 1 click of a button.

n0m0n

Reaction score
EbE404
Thanks for that site but I already upgraded to 2.2 leak.
Strange though it said I will get the update do they mean manual or OTA?
i thought if you root'ed you wouldn't see the OTA?

At least you couldn't with the Droid root process... Or was it when you added a ROM?

EbE404

Reaction score
OK I have been reading other threads about random reboots (which I am having) and now wonder if its because I rooted???
Maybe I should see if Easy Root is as advised and if it will un-root with 1 click of a button.

I'm afraid I can't give you a direct answer to that, this is not my device, and as I mentioned, I haven't found the details as to how these apps work and what exactly they are doing. I'm not sure how rooting with one app and unrooting with another might affect the system.

I wish I could give you a better answer, but the best I can suggest is to watch the other Droid X forums and see what pops up.

I just ran a Google search for you, and found one post mentioning another update that did include unrooting, but another post mentioning a sordid story of this app:

[APP] Easy Root Free - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - [APP] Easy Root Free - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home

If that first post is true, I would not expect much by way of support or updates. I can't speak to validity of this.

Here's another link that might provide some help and info for you:

Easy Root, one-click root for DROID 1 and DROID X, works as intended

Backdraft

Reaction score
Good and valid point to be sure. However, you said it yourself that one needs to be willing to invest time and be willing to invest in trial and error-and have a willingness to study and learn.

I'm less concerned about the folks who visit forums like this, as there are plenty of resources here to do all of that. Rather, I'm more worried about the folks who stumble across the apps in the Market and have no clue about what they are getting into, let alone the wherewithal to fix an issue if it comes up.

Exactly, I've always believed that it is just as important to understand something as doing it, instead of just drinking the Kool-aid no questions asked.

These "easy" root solutions seem to foster the notion that these actions are of little consequence, whether on the technical side or if it pertains to your contract/warranty, which it's simply not true.

I suppose this is what you get with new/emerging software and the relative unregulated nature of the Android Marketplace and platform, which, don't get me wrong, I'd still rather take over the Democratic People's Republic of Apple any day.

EbE404

Reaction score

Exactly, I've always believed that it is just as important to understand something as doing it, instead of just drinking the Kool-aid no questions asked.

These "easy" root solutions seem to foster the notion that these actions are of little consequence, whether on the technical side or if it pertains to your contract/warranty, which it's simply not true.

I suppose this is what you get with new/emerging software and the relative unregulated nature of the Android Marketplace and platform, which, don't get me wrong, I'd still rather take over the Democratic People's Republic of Apple any day.

To some extent, a similar thing happened in Apple world with the Jailbreak Me site. People were jumping all over themselves for a few days about how brilliant and easy this was-nobody realizing what a terrifying security hole this actually was. After the guy who found the exploit published it to the world, I didn't go to a single website on my iPad or iPod Touch until the patch update came up.

In further news, I just took a spin to the Easy Root dev's site:

Unstable Apps - Mobile apps for a mobile world

Ironic title, given the problems that seem to be popping up on this forum...

You will notice:

• No disclaimer about voiding a warranty
  • No cautions or information about what rooting will actually do to your phone
  • A support link-that provides absolutely no support
  • Very prominent PayPal links to give him money.

This hardly gives me warm-fuzzies.

n0m0n

Reaction score

To some extent, a similar thing happened in Apple world with the Jailbreak Me site. People were jumping all over themselves for a few days about how brilliant and easy this was-nobody realizing what a terrifying security hole this actually was. After the guy who found the exploit published it to the world, I didn't go to a single website on my iPad or iPod Touch until the patch update came up.

In further news, I just took a spin to the Easy Root dev's site:

Unstable Apps - Mobile apps for a mobile world

Ironic title, given the problems that seem to be popping up on this forum...

You will notice:

• No disclaimer about voiding a warranty
  • No cautions or information about what rooting will actually do to your phone
  • A support link-that provides absolutely no support
  • Very prominent PayPal links to give him money.

This hardly gives me warm-fuzzies.

OK so what does a person do who already (weeks back) root'ed using Easy Root?
I also upgraded to the leaked 2.2.

I know you aren't saying undo but I don't need any unbeknown security issues
Thanks

EbE404

Reaction score
OK so what does a person do who already (weeks back) root'ed using Easy Root?
I also upgraded to the leaked 2.2.

I know you aren't saying undo but I don't need any unbeknown security issues
Thanks

My comment about security was toward the Jailbreak Me website in Apple world. Honestly, I have no idea if Easy Root represents any kind of security threat, as I do not know what permissions it uses or toward what end.

As I do not have your phone model, I did not use Easy Root, and I have yet to find any technical details about what it does or how it does it, I'm afraid the best leads I can give you are the links provided in my earlier post.

Of course, if you would like to do some research on your own and let the rest of the community know what you find, it would be greatly appreciated-both by folks in a similar position as yourself and the rest of us who are curious and want to help others.

brooklyn2710

Reaction score
I looked before I posted this, so I know this wasn't answer but can Universal androot root a Motorola Droid running the official 2.2 (manually updated)?

Is there anything different between using this and the "regular way"?

And I know this was answer SEVERAL TIMES, but can you give 5 simple benefits to rooting a phone?

Last, has anyone run into a lot of issues (bricking phones, overheating phones, void warrenty) when rooting their phones? What about overclocking it?