Understanding Memory/Task Killers

littlkj5

Reaction score
**It would be cool if this could be a sticky since everyone always asks the same thing

Everyone thinks that task killers are what is needed when trying to increase batter life but it is not true. Android would have put one on their system if they felt it was needed but the OS can handle it. I am a former BB user so I thought I would until a lot of people said I don't need it.

Here are some quotes regarding task killers and memory from others on this forum in case you don't believe me:

The app killer running (will consume battery) and constantly killing apps (that are going to reopen any) will consume battery.

Your best bet for battery life is to avoid task killers. They are not needed. If they were, Google would have included them in the Android OS.

The android operating system is nothing like Windows/Palm/RIM/Etc. Android loads apps in memory so they will be immediately available when you need them. Let me stress, these apps are not "running" in the sense that programs run when started in Windows. They are simply sitting in memory. You don't have to worry about them, as they do no harm just staying in memory until needed. If android needs additional memory, it will remove whatever needs to be removed in order to have the amount of memory it requires. Forget about watching how much free memory you have because it changes as the operating systems needs change. Delete any task killer the idiot Verizon reps convinced you to install, or that they installed. Killed apps will, in most cases, be put right back in memory by android.

just leave them alone, even if they are "on", they use little to no resources. Android manages memory very well and using a task killer will more likely mess up things then help.

You don't have to use an app to close other apps, the OS handles memory for you, some people are just obsessed with constant peak performance.

Warner

Reaction score
Yeah, being a Windows guy (and network admin), I originally installed a task killer app. After becoming a bit more educated (but only slightly) on the Android OS, I uninstalled it.

Warner