X Performance / Memeory tweaks

DiscoStu9

Reaction score
So, I'm an obsessive performance and efficiency techie, I'm the kinda guy that runs off 3 different OS on my PC for different situations, running baarely enough services on windows to be stable, build of almost bare linux kernel, etc.

I've heard conflicting things on forums about android performance, tweaking, and esp task killers. I'm very new to android (first android phone is the X), so I'm wondering what sagelike advice you more experienced users have, to make my X extra snappy and quick and not wasting loads of memory.

I've heard killing tasks does not help, but I have seen my available memory be around 250, but also as low as 75 or so with things running, or sometimes it seems inexplicable why I have so much or so little memory available.

Also heard about a bunch of apps to tweak and boost, and equal number of people saying these apps DONT help, or slow the machine. Defrag / cache clears? services choices w/o root?

What do you all think and do to keep your X or droid device super fast?

jvmxtra

Reaction score
So, I'm an obsessive performance and efficiency techie, I'm the kinda guy that runs off 3 different OS on my PC for different situations, running baarely enough services on windows to be stable, build of almost bare linux kernel, etc.

I've heard conflicting things on forums about android performance, tweaking, and esp task killers. I'm very new to android (first android phone is the X), so I'm wondering what sagelike advice you more experienced users have, to make my X extra snappy and quick and not wasting loads of memory.

I've heard killing tasks does not help, but I have seen my available memory be around 250, but also as low as 75 or so with things running, or sometimes it seems inexplicable why I have so much or so little memory available.

Also heard about a bunch of apps to tweak and boost, and equal number of people saying these apps DONT help, or slow the machine. Defrag / cache clears? services choices w/o root?

What do you all think and do to keep your X or droid device super fast?

I got rid of all the extra widgets I do not need.(I got rid of all of them even camera screen). I stopped some of the services that I don't need and I uninstalled all games.

I even kept all the notification out of the way.(I do not need to know what's going on in the world every 5 min)..

Mine is supersnappy as it turns out.( I even turned off switching screen on different views as well).

My main app for phone is
1)web
2)google voice
3)mail
4)occassional navy

I carry 2nd phone..(work phone).

So obviously this setup might not be for everyone but mine is SUPER fast.

ps:let's just remember that we didn't buy 3Ghz machine w/ 10 gig of memory.. as long as you stick to simple tasks and keeping limited apps open at time, your phone will do alright.

Matokira

Reaction score
I just checked this handset out at a Verizon store. It linpacks at 8.3MFlops. My HTC Dream Linpacks at 4.2. This doesn't seem like the biggest improvement ever.. here's hoping Android 2.2 will make it as fast or faster than the Nexus One (which Linpacks at ~40MFlops on 2.2).