Unable to connect to my wifi network

uoficowboy

Reaction score
Hi - I have an odd problem. My phone can connect to my apartment's wifi network, but it cannot seem to use the network for data purposes.

Now, here is where it gets stranger:

My computer can connect just fine
My girlfriend's old Epic 4G could connect just fine
My girlfriend's current IPhone 4S can connect just fine
My old Droid running CM7 could not connect
My Nook color can not connect

The router is for my whole building and I do not have the ability to change settings on it.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I checked and my computer's IP is 192.168.80.101
Here is the status of the connection according to my phone:

Security: WPA/WPA2 PSK
Signal strength: fair
Link speed: 65Mbps
IP address: 192.168.80.109
Proxy settings: none

OP
U

uoficowboy

Reaction score
Nobody? I'd love to have this problem fixed - it drives me nuts!

gsDroid

Reaction score
Your settings look to be correct. Is it possible there is more than one device trying to use the IP? I would try going into the wireless settings and 'forgetting' the connection. Then go to Application settings and 'clear cache' in the browser. Power off and restart and make a new wifi connection to the router to test. Let us know.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Maybe nothing, but it wouldn't hurt. Sometimes a thorough cleanup helps. That's why a factory reset helps with things that can't be helped otherwise. A reset requires a lot of setup, so try other things first. If you don't want to clear your browser cache, don't. I hope you will post your progress.

OP
U

uoficowboy

Reaction score
Maybe nothing, but it wouldn't hurt. Sometimes a thorough cleanup helps. That's why a factory reset helps with things that can't be helped otherwise. A reset requires a lot of setup, so try other things first. If you don't want to clear your browser cache, don't. I hope you will post your progress.
I've tried forgetting the connection before. I just reinstalled .902, then updated to .905. I then added the connection, then cleared the cache, then reset, then put in the password again. No difference. Still shows connected, still no Internet!

linuxgator

Reaction score
How about setting the IP address manually, just pick something like 192.168.80.123 or something higher than you've seen on other devices that is likely in the range of IP addresses that the router uses.

OP
U

uoficowboy

Reaction score
How about setting the IP address manually, just pick something like 192.168.80.123 or something higher than you've seen on other devices that is likely in the range of IP addresses that the router uses.
I tried setting it to a static settings. Here is what I gave it:

IP: 192.168.80.199
Gateway: 192.168.80.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS 1: 68.87.69.146
DNS 2: 68.87.85.98

All those settings were stolen from my computer's settings (though it has DHCP enabled), except for the IP which I just chose a random large number in the same subnet.

Still doesn't work :(

linuxgator

Reaction score
Hmm, that stinks. In almost all of the other forum posts i've seen related to things like this, the solution has been on the router end. Unfortunately that doesn't seem like an option for you. Perhaps you could go buy a cheap router somewhere and set up internet connection sharing on your computer with your lan port.