Connecting to a wifi network with ssid set to not broadcast.

nh2123

Reaction score
This was an issue for me with the og droid. It seems to be an issue with the bionic as well. I am connecting to my home router with wpa/2 security and it connects fine if the ssid is set to broadcast. If I set the ssid to non broadcast it won't connect. Anyone have this issue and or a workaround for it. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

slamanna212

Reaction score
There is no reason to have ssid broadcast turned off. wifi shouldn't be able to handler that at all. Sooner duo but most don't. Jackets can still find your AP and out makes connecting hell

entcee

Reaction score
This was an issue for me with the og droid. It seems to be an issue with the bionic as well. I am connecting to my home router with wpa/2 security and it connects fine if the ssid is set to broadcast. If I set the ssid to non broadcast it won't connect. Anyone have this issue and or a workaround for it. Thanks.

My work and home wifi does not broadcast the SSID. I have not had a problem with the bionic or the OG Droid. When you set up the connection, you just have to type the SSID.

Not sure what the problem would be. Try turning broadcast off, removing the connection and then re-do the connection from scratch.

Bluelard

Reaction score
You can change your router to broadcast your ssid, connect with your phone and then disable ssid broadcasting again. Your phone should remember your ssid after that. If you don't want to do this there is a free app called "hidden ssid enabler" that you can also use to connect with ssid broadcasting turned off.

OP
N

nh2123

Reaction score
This problem has apparently been fixed. I am now able to connect on my wpa2 non ssid broadcast wifi. I did nothing special other than set ssid to nonbroadcast and manually enter the network values on the bionic.

toy4x4

Reaction score
Right you have to manually enter the SSID and it is usually case sensitive too! But glad to hear you have it working now.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Why not just lock down with WPA2 (password protected of course) and broadcast SSIDs ?
This allows you to know where and take appropriate action.
Whether I am at home, work, the bar or some other Wi-Fi network my location settings are allows as appropriate for that environment. Having to manually key in an SSID would be a major pain. The only problem I have is the settings are not automatically changed to recognize my MAC address at the bar. I have to sign in manually to the public library in the area each time I visit. Somehow, my MAC address is recognized both at home and work which sends my credentials as a subscriber on those networks.

Frankly, I don't understand why ??? After all, if it knows my MAC, it should know I have already accepted the terms and conditions.