Unable to connect Samsung Galaxy Tab to Droid X Tether

szsilva7

Reaction score
I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab today and as suspected, I am unable to use the rooted tether from my Droid X for the Galaxy Tab. As far as I'm aware, no other android device has been able to connect to my Droid X through it's tether and I was hoping this would be different. I've heard it has something to do with Ad-Hoc mode not being read on Android but if someone can please help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

mach330

Reaction score
oh that sux. i would get the ipad if this is in fact true. i don't want to pay extra for 3g service. can anyone else confirm?

OP
S

szsilva7

Reaction score
Funny thing is, I sold myiPad today which worked perfectly with my tether. However, I was rooting for an android tablet and apparently this is its biggest flaw unless someone knows a solution.

skibum7777

Reaction score
Galaxy and Incredible Tether issues

I'm having the same problem to with tethering my new Galaxy to my Incredible (Rooted) with 2.1. I've also tried blue tooth...althought it will pair, it won't connect.

I really don't want to pay the $20 per Gig data plan every month.

Any ideas? Do I need to Root the Galaxy also?

chuckz28

Reaction score
I was pretty confident that it would fail to tether due to the adhoc connection. That is why I ended up buying an iPad a couple months ago. Tether works perfectly on it.

skibum7777

Reaction score
I was pretty confident that it would fail to tether due to the adhoc connection. That is why I ended up buying an iPad a couple months ago. Tether works perfectly on it.

I appreciate the input about the adhoc network...but I'm looking for the solution for the Galaxy and making the Android work. iPad doesn't intrest me in the least...no more money to Steve Jobs! I've had the iPhone and had to "jailbrake" just to get Jobs to allow me to tether.

Does anyone know if 2.3 or the future 3.0 software will have the capabilities or has anyone "rooted" the galaxy yet? Does it work?

Thanks!

mosone

Reaction score
Dont sweat..there's an EASY fix for this with DX...just get the team black hat app in market. Go to "install 3g hotspot "inside the app...install the zip it provides in the t.b.h. folder on your SD card with rom manager...turn on 3g hotspot and your all set!...now if I only had a Droid x.......

jmed99

Reaction score
Dont sweat..there's an EASY fix for this with DX...just get the team black hat app in market. Go to "install 3g hotspot "inside the app...install the zip it provides in the t.b.h. folder on your SD card with rom manager...turn on 3g hotspot and your all set!...now if I only had a Droid x.......

Does this work with the D1?

Does the Tab need to be rooted?

Does the app need to be installed on the phone or the Tab?

Thanks! :)

jmed99

Reaction score
I just downloaded the app on my D1 and I dont see anything close to "install 3G hotspot" inside the app. Any ideas? Thanks!

mosone

Reaction score
Nope...I'm in the same boat as you buddy,our d1's aren't able to use an infrastructure tether because of kernel limitations...but seeing as how the source code for the tab was already released yesterday(way sooner than I expected) we should see a rom up in days...that should fix the tether issue because most roms I've used have the wpa_supplicant fix included...basically its what allows my girls dx to see my d1's tether on almost any rom she runs...xda also has the fix in an update.zip form, but I'm not gonna try it til we have CW recovery or the like....just sit tight for a bit...the tab is real new and there's already a STRONG community on it...I sold my ipad for It and DON'T regret it one bit!!!

Last edited:

jmed99

Reaction score
Nope...I'm in the same boat as you buddy,our d1's aren't able to use an infrastructure tether because of kernel limitations...but swing as how the source code for the tab was already released yesterday(way sooner than I expected) we should see a rom up in days...that should fix the tether issue because most roms I've used have the wpa_supplicant fix included...basically its what allows my girls dx to see my d1's tether on almost any Tom she runs...xda also has the fix in an update.zip form, but I'm not gonna try it til we have CW recovery or the like....just sit tight for a bit...the tab is real new and there's already a STRONG community on it...I sold my ipad for I'd and DON'T regret it one bit!!!

Sounds good...I know it will be out soon!

BTW, where is this strong community...on other forum website? Certainly isn't here.

jmed99

Reaction score
I would try it but we do not have a way (nandroid) to back up the Tab yet.

mosone

Reaction score
Yup...that's the one..but there's two versions of that fix that are device specific ...if you wanna try one before we have recovery ...yeesh....lemme know how it works. Also,there's atleast two tab only forums..several android tablet forums...but I like xda...has a growing tab community.

Sleeve

Reaction score
So the data plan on the Tab is like the dedicated hotspot devices, unlike Sprint there is no additional charge for activating the mobile hotspot feature on a Tab, it all just eats out of the same metered GB pool. I've also heard that while we can continue to buy "unlimited" (yea, the 10 gig thing, I know) data plans on our phones, the new plans are also available for phones. What I'm not 100% sure about is whether phones on the metered data plans can activate mobile hotspot without paying the extra $30 over the current data plan price.

I know in my case a metered data plan that lets me operate as a hotspot will work for everything I want to tether at a lower cost than the $59.99 for smartphone data with wireless tether.