Unable to Add New Number to Existing Contact

oecolampadius

Reaction score
I've googled and searched this forum but have not come across anyone else having my problem. In plain, I'm unable to add a new number from which a friend has both texted and called me to his existing contact. I have a Moto Droid.

Here are the steps I follow:

From Call log

1. Long press new number from which friend called me.
  2. Select Add to contacts from menu.
  3. Select friend's name from list, opening his contact.
  4. I have deleted his old number from his contact, so I press the green plus sign under Phone, change Home to Mobile, and press in the phone number field. (The new number appears nowhere.)
  5. I select Done. I am returned to the Call logscreen but the new number is still displayed rather than the friend's name. I check his contact but no number is displayed.
From Messaging

1. Open message from friend saying his number has changed.
  2. Long press new number from which friend has texted me.
  3. Select Add ########## to Contacts.
  4. I then follow steps 3-5 above with same results.
I feel really silly having this problem as I'm generally pretty good on my Droid. Anyone else had this problem or see what step I'm missing or doing wrong? Thanks!

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
just a stab in the dark, but when you created your friend, did you put his "name" in the first name field or prefix field.

I put a name in the prefix field on accident, and the number would only show up in the call log. Even when I searched the contact list for their name, I would get no results.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Is the contact you are trying to add the number to a Facebook contact?

If so, you can't edit Facebook contacts on the phone at all. What you can do is create a new contact with the exact same name with the new info and the phone will automatically merge the 2 contacts into one as soon as you hit Done.

OP
O

oecolampadius

Reaction score
just a stab in the dark, but when you created your friend, did you put his "name" in the first name field or prefix field.

I put a name in the prefix field on accident, and the number would only show up in the call log. Even when I searched the contact list for their name, I would get no results.

Thanks for the reply, R85! I double checked and the prefix field was empty, and the names were in the appropriate fields.

Is the contact you are trying to add the number to a Facebook contact?

If so, you can't edit Facebook contacts on the phone at all. What you can do is create a new contact with the exact same name with the new info and the phone will automatically merge the 2 contacts into one as soon as you hit Done.

Thanks for the reply, Vitticeps! The contact already had both a Google contact and a Facebook contact. I wonder if it was failing because the contact was merged. Darn, Facebook! Haha. Maybe it's a bug for merged contacts.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Maybe you're right. Maybe since it is a merged contact for some reason it's trying to add the number to to Facebook contact and failing.

I've never encountered it myself and I have a few hundred FB contacts synced but that doesn't mean much. :)

Taegost

Reaction score
It may just be merging with another contact with a similar name... Every time I flash my phone, I have to separate my brother (James) from my niece (Jamie) because their names are only 1 letter different, and they have the same last name.